Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Downpipe question

947 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rebel2k4 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, can someone explain to me if there is a reason that the stock downpipe on a GT has such a sharp bend in it, over 90 degrees, is there a reason for this. I am asking because I have a piece of 2 1/4" mandrel bent pipe, with a 90 degree bend with an approxamate mean diameter in the bend of 4 inches. I am curious what if I can use this pipe, I can machine/fab my own flange etc, just curious if this would be beneficial, or if there is a reason for being such a sharp bend?

#2 ·
The bend could be less drastic if the a/c compressor was out of the way. The DP upgrade is being talked about in the performance mod forum I think. It would post high gains if the bend was not as tight and if the pipe was bigger al-together.
2-1/4" would work fine, If you don't have the a/c in there try to go with 3" for maximum gain.

#5 ·
I see that your sig says you have an LX. If you are thinking of putting this on an LX, not a good idea. You need back pressure with that n/a.

#6 ·
well, the lx is gonna be turboed, so I am pretty sure I will keep some back pressure, and that is also why I am only going to use 2 1/4 inch pipe. So I think that it will work. Anyone else have any thoughts, or should I not use 2 1/4, maybe something smaller?

#8 ·
drsjr1980 said:
I see that your sig says you have an LX. If you are thinking of putting this on an LX, not a good idea. You need back pressure with that n/a.
haha... I think we have come to a conclusion on the whole "backpressure theory." Leave it for the carbs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.