Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

DP and Exhaust - worth HP?

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  SixSick6 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT:DP and Exhaust - it IS worth HP?

I did the 2.5 DP and exhaust- WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I will post pictures when we finish the Tailpipe and rear muffler.

For those of you who are in CT/Mass

Cromwell Automotive in Cromwell whipped up my DP intermediate pipe and welded everything up in under 4 hours.

I supplied the mufflers and that kept cost down.

All said and done we are looking for a DP back for under 350.00 if you supply the mufflers... custom fit and welded to your car.

closer to 450 if Cromwell auto has to get the muffler.

Pics to be Posted Tomorrow.

#2 ·
Anything is worth it for some extra HP. A full 3" is the way to go, but 2.5" will work just fine and if there are any emissions in your state you will need a high flow cat on it. Otherwise just get the testpipe. The exhaust is the best place to start upgrading on these cars. You will have to watch for an increase in boost pressure with a larger, more freeflowing exhaust. This could lead to fuel cut, in which case you get your chip you want and you don't need to worry about it.

#3 ·
cool- does anyone make a 3" downpipe or is that something i need to fabricate?

We do have emissions- i was thinking of flanging the converter and swapping the cat in/out when time to re-test.

i have 3" mufflers and pipe- but i honestly thought 3" was too much with stock turbo.

wow- a free flow exhaust can give you enough for boost cut? Nice!

#5 ·
3'' is great but 2.5'' works also. The exhuast helped build boost better, quicker spool and more of a linear power curve with a tad more grunt up top, where the F2T needs it most.

When I slapped a full turbo back exhuast on, i started hitting boost cut in cooler weather in 3rd gear, with no other mods besides a cone filter. So without a doubt extra boost will be gained.

Also, a boost gauge is a worthy investment before or shortly after you do this.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input caffiene--- the 3" turbo-back seems totally feasible... i have access to a pipe bender and plenty of aluminized 3" pipe.

I have a question abotu the boost gauge though--- what gauge pod(a-pillar) can be made to fit the 6'er?

#8 ·
thanks sleeper!

Nice car- i like the white with white rims.

did you do a turbo upgrade ?

BTW- how loud is your exhaust- does the turbo do any type of muffling?

#9 ·
no upgrade just factory turbo for know but im trying to work a deal for a t3 manifold so i can finally install the t3 setting in my basement, and yes my exhuast is loud, but that's teh way i like it, but it's not the raspity loud you hear like on most honda, it's a real deep tone with alot of base, but as the rpm's get higher you start to hear it get softer and your ear stop bleeding.:D

#12 ·
where can i find the Cone Filter and Adapter for our cars?

I am going to put the boost gauge in it and then do the Cone filter to see if it picks up at all...

as far as the exhaust- I am going to wait until this one rots off.

#14 ·
My exhaust is really loud, nice and deep when boosting. When shifting its got rasp, but that might be because all I have making the exhaust note is a muffler. I have 2.5in from turbo back with no cat. So the only thing makin my cars exhaust note is a Tsudo muffler. Im planning on getting a 3in inlet Megan Racing muffler. Then from axle back go 3in.

WIth my muffler off its hella loud and all buzz, its kinda fun to drive around..........but it gets to the head fast.

I get lots of compliments on the way my cars sounds though, I love the way it sounds, just sometimes the buzz when shifting is too much.

#15 ·
bump.

I got the 2.5" DP and exhaust- see my original post.

Pics posted Saturday for you CT/MA 6ers!

#16 ·
my friend has a red 89gt and he's got a cone filter and 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cat and he beats me with a cone filter and 11psi.

this doesnt mean much to u guys but in my area there is this russian exhaust shop that can make me a 3" turbo back "crushed piping" exhaust with any choice of muffler for under $200...yea im russian so i got the hookup.

#19 ·
SixSick6 said:
From their website :

==========================
Dark Side Racing :: Ford Probe GT 89-92 :: Exhaust

Exhaust

There are no available products under this category.
==========================

Just so that you know what you're referring people to.

#20 · (Edited)
yeah and it says that for every available product, their website is down. I know someone who ordered and recieved a full 3 inch turbo back system and is completely happy. $550 for mild steel turbo back without cat and choice of two Megan racing mufflers $600 for stainless steel without cat and and same option for muffler. The system I'm ordering is full stainles turbo back with magnaflow 94009 cat and Megan GT style muffler. the systems also come with a flex pipe and are mandrel bent. Contact them via phone for prices on downpipe only, pipes only, watever you want only. They have been in business for awhile and have a quite a reputation....none of which is for ripping people off

#21 · (Edited)
jeff- 92-95 civic pod fits perfect.. conefilter's and adapter's on ebay.. CHEAP..

so when you say 3 inch TURBO BACK FROM THEM.. your talking dp test pipe and muffler?

if so im soo just going to buy that one.. i have 2 exhausts at the garage but there both 2.5,, i might just sell them and buy the 3 inch TURBOback

i just emailed them for more info on it.. ill post it when i get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.