Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their MX6 Turbo out at the drags recently, or on a dyno?
Please post up results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.
Is Matt on this forum?
I'd love to know more on that car in particular as it is an F2T.
I would say that is the fastest MX6 Turbo in the land?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys, i'm in the process of building a road registered (and i use that term loosely) gd 626 turbo drag car on the (very) cheap.

first goal is 13sec pass and then if it is running good mph i might get a little more serious.

will keep you guys updated.

Matt's not on the forums. What do you want to know about it?? It's an *interesting* car to drive.
he's getting some great performance out of the f2t. has any part of the engine been modified or is it all just 'bolt on' stuff?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
He has a custom ground camshaft, but depending on what he is doing with the car, and what turbo he has on it, sometimes its better off with the stock cam.

Getting 13's from a 626 turbo should be a piece of piss, with some drastic weight loss, the car would probably do it on a standard turbo. If thats not an option, a VF12 turbo, some BPT injectors, a fuel reg, a front mount and you've got easy 13's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good to hear no engine mechanicals needed upgrading at the output he is at.

at what point does the gearbox/diff/halfshafts let go when drag raced? (i see PAR make a replacement 3rd gear so i'm guessing that's what goes first in the gearbox.)

when you say 'easy 13s' do you mean with street tyres and open diff?

·
Registered
6 Posts
will keep you guys updated.
13.1 @ 106. rx7 series 5 turbo, 3" exhaust, 2 soarer intercoolers welded in parallel, haltech e6k, 19psi, 30/70 toluene/98ROM mix, drag radials, lots of weight removed. whole car including mods owes me less than $1300 (excluding the drag radials).

aiming for a 12 next year with a little more boost and a little less weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah, in brissy. i did get a 2.0 60ft!

biggest problem i'm having is missing getting it into gear on gearchanges (1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd). might need to look at replacing the linkage bushes or are the h series gearboxes just difficult to shift quickly?

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
I'm also in Brissy. Let me know when you head out to Willowbank and I'll see if I can get out there to watch.

The gearboxes are over 20 years old, so they tend to have a few issues. Common issues being the spider gears in the diff loose the case hardened outer and chew themselves to bits. Shift gates wear out and round off, making it harder to select gears. Syncros wear out and slow down gear changes.

The shifter link bushes at the gearbox end as well as the shifter end wear out as they are nylon. It gives that spoon in a bowl of custard feel to the shifter. These can still be bought new from Mazda/Ford and are the same as the 323/lasers. I have some brass bushes in mine, pretty sure I can get some more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone taken a GE v6 Mx6 out to the drags?

I'm setting my sights on making it into the 14's with a p plate car and a lightly modified DE. Hoping to get down to calder sometime in the next 6 months once I'm done working on it.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I see that Matt has a bunch of videos of his RX7 out at the track.... is that Wakefield?

Do you guys ever see Justen Simpson running the GT8 out there?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts