Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust manifold heat sheild is cracking just right of the left bolt. Nearly everyone I've seen is cracking here but mine seems pretty bad. The sheilds are two ply so it won't be letting heat through but it just looks really untidy.

Can anyone suggest a way to fix it up? I'm guessing the easiet thing to do will be replace the whole shield, so where can I get one and what sort of $$$'s are they going for?

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I first got my car, it didn't come with a heat sheild for the manifold, so I went and phoned a few wreakers,
I got the top sheild aswell aswell as the bottom half for around 40 bucks
A Ford dealer wanted something in the line of $110, for the 2.2 tx5 heatshield which is rediculous @-

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
LOL.
Mine is cracked in the same spot. What's the deal with that?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
yeah, mine was too...

it's a common problem...i've seen it on many 1st gen mx6s...maybe it was from over-tightening those bolts or something?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, there was one in the mazda wreckers in Dandenong down the road from Repco. It was sitting on the shelf with some HQ Kingswood parts, but some prick in a TX5 bought it for 30 bucks...... LOL. Incidently, it has a small crack near the right hand side of the left bolt - should be repairable though..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
what is up with these cracks?

about half of the mx6's i looked at before purchasing mine actually had a crack somewhere on the heatshield - it really turned me off buying those ones which displayed it.

and why does the exhaust manifold leak always happen on the top left side of the manifold?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
People people people...

Get a grip...apart from the aesthetics, what is wrong with a cracked exhaust manifold.

Our turbo's get REALLY hot, the exhaust manifold is doing it's job, and over 15 years....it's gonna crack.

No big deal in my opinion?

Pete

·
Registered
182 Posts
Possibly Pete, but if they crack all the way though (like my old one did) they rattle embarassingly at idle, and worse case, part of it could break off completely and fall into the fan blades below... I tried running mine without one for a while, but ended up with a brown bonnet (on the OUTSIDE) and was just lucky I could polish it off and make a temp shield till I found a real one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That is true....and i wouldn't recommend running around without one.

I was commenting more on the small crack around the bolts that all mx6's ive seen have had.

·
Registered
236 Posts
it is strange how the cracks always seem to appear in the same spot.

the other thing, be careful when u remove the shield to tinker for any reason. over time, the bolts may have heat welded themselves to the manifold below. dont be surprised if you turn, turn, turn and then finally the bolt head comes off and leaves the thread inside. it is lucky i thought of this before i did mine or i would have had three bolt heads and three bolt threads inbedded in the manifold threads. as the manifold heats up to a very high degree and very rarely the bolts will need to be taken out, it should be no surprise to most that this is a common problem, not just in cars too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts