Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the process of trying to eliminate all the water leaks into my trunk and as a result, I have moved to the rear side window trim (on the sides of the car, not the rear window itself). There is the clip that was glued to the trip that was keeping that corner flat against the body. The glue holding that clip to the trim has separated long ago and I've found that water may be leaking into that clip and finding its way into my trunk.

question 1: is there a way to take this trim off? I have a parts car with good trim, but i looks like it's glued on to the window and is basically impossible to remove unless I take out the window.

question 2: is there a glue that is good enough to hold this trim to my car? I've been trying different stuff such as a hot glue gun (the trim just pulled away after awhile). goop multipurpose adhesive/sealant, which also just pulled away. I've already roughened the surfaces that are being mated.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
welp, anyway, i love it when people answer their own questions.

question 1 answer: no, there is not a way to take this trim off without either taking the window off or breaking it. I incidentally broke the window while trying to take the window out :p

question 2 answer: i had to cut up the trim and make grooves for the hot glue to hold on to and also scrape up the paint underneath it to make it grab.

This FINALLY fixed my leaky trunk and looks a lot better than before.

Thanks everyone for your help (not sarcastic at all)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have pics up sometime. Planning on doing an all pic how to on how to fix our freakin leaky trunks. I think I've found every single possible spot.... especially since my car had every one of them

:useless: :angel::angel:

Sorry to hear about the broken window. I have not had experience with trying to remove them so now I will know not to try. :p

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
I told you Nathan!!! :lol:

We should seal the window from the inside and then use the rubber paint to repair the trim.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't worry, it was on my parts car. unfortunately, can't seal it from the inside as the clip that's part of the window trim that leaks is unreachable from the inside. trust me, I have small hands and I've tried. I can see it if i put a flashlight inside the paneling, but no go. It's a clip just like the ones they use on the brake lights and the back window trim held down by screws (ones you can see when you open up the trunk). I gotta find time to take pics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts