Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I had the tire off the other day and while I was inspecting the rotors, I saw a little crack in the rubber boot of my drive axle (about 1/2 inch). There is no grease coming out (yet) but i know that it is a pain to deal with it once it does. Does any quick fix come to mind so that I can extend the life of the rubber boot a little? Maybe a rubber repair procedure. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
too d*mn common. i'm having all 4 boots replaced on my 93 on monday for about $200 USD. the other choice is wait until the cv's dry out and break, then you're looking at about 400 per axle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This just happened to my front left CV boot and I went ahead and replaced the boot and the axle at the same time. It was $228 USD for parts and labor, but do it ASAP before something really bad happens. And I would suggest doing the axle too because dirt can get in the boot and mess the joint up and dry out most of the greese if you don't get it repaired soon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
:mad: u right, it's a pain to replace them, boots.
Here is my story. Once I was changing oil in my 93 mx-6 and noticed that boots were close to be cracked. I didn't act right away. The next time i changed oil, I noticed that it's Really time for new boots, but they were cracked, and I had to take the axel out in order to install new ones. It was pain, during back installation I boogered the axle right where it goes into tranee. So I bought a new one, and it was pain again- the locking ring didn't wanna get in tranny, so I busted the rubber seal in tranny and shuvved axle in so bad that I couldn't get it out. You all are laughing already, don't ya? @- Well, I couldn't get it out with a big old prybar. I took it over to Mazda dealer and they did it for me for $300 US bucks. Geez, that was a trip!!! I should have just gone to my neighborhood's muffler and brake place at first, which I did by the way later to replace my passenger side CV boot.- just $50.
so, don't hesitate replacing, but be gentle with an axle and patient with a locking ring.
good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts