Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side door doesnt open from the outside, i took it apart, but i have no idea what im looking for or whats wrong with it, so i dont know how to fix it. any suggestions?

·
Registered
318 Posts
It could be a number of things. Mine was broke when I got the car, I was able to "bubble gum" fix it with some zip ties. I did that twice before the handle really broke. I have the new handle, and still need to put it on. Maybe I can do that tonight.

Anyway, there ha to be something mechanically wrong, so I would look a little closer. I would do all I could to fix it though. I was told by a friend who had to replace his that a new one was $200 from Mazda. I got my black one (original was white) from a junkyard for $40.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You door handle is most likely broken on the inside I hade the same problem.
just go to your local scrap yard and pick one up I paid 20 canadian for on and put it in my self it realy easy but you need a little time to do it you have to pull the door panel of and unscrew to screws then pull the old handel out and put the new on in. It a pain to get all the rods instaled to the new handel but a little TLC should do it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here's what you have to do... Ready?

-Remove the door panel.
-What you'll find, when you inspect the handle mechanism from in inside, is that the connection of the latch linkage to the handle's release mechanism has broken...It's a riveted connection...
-Disconnect all of the linkages to the handle and lock, remembering where they all go. Label them if you need to.
-Remove the handle and lock barrel (two nuts).
-Drill out the spot on the handle mechanism where the rivet used to connect. It probably looks like a bolt that has been twisted off. Just drill it out. The metal is soft, it drills nicely.
-Replace the broken rivet with an apppropriately sized bolt that will fit through your drilled hole and the linkage's eyelet. It is important to use a lock washer here.
-Reinstall the handle and lock.
-Reconnect the linkage using the bolt and lock washer.
-Reconnect all the other linkages and reinastall the door panel.

You're done. Nice job.

Let me know if you get stuck or my details are a little off. I did this not too long ago, but my description may be a little lacking.

I have to get into my passenger door this weekend. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll fill in the blanks for you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I might have an extra handle you can have....

I don't know what color your car is or what year but the handle I have is off a 90 lx and it's silver. All you got to do is pay me for the shipping. I'm not charging you for the handle cause it was only $5. I was going to use it on my car but I went and got rear door handles from a 90 626 and use that instead because I just installed a shave door handle kit. This way I have a clean door handle no keyhole and I didn't have to pay a body shop xtra money to shave my keyhole. So if you want the door handle let me know.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Turbobink said:
Here's what you have to do... Ready?

-Remove the door panel.
-What you'll find, when you inspect the handle mechanism from in inside, is that the connection of the latch linkage to the handle's release mechanism has broken...It's a riveted connection...
-Disconnect all of the linkages to the handle and lock, remembering where they all go. Label them if you need to.
-Remove the handle and lock barrel (two nuts).
-Drill out the spot on the handle mechanism where the rivet used to connect. It probably looks like a bolt that has been twisted off. Just drill it out. The metal is soft, it drills nicely.
-Replace the broken rivet with an apppropriately sized bolt that will fit through your drilled hole and the linkage's eyelet. It is important to use a lock washer here.
-Reinstall the handle and lock.
-Reconnect the linkage using the bolt and lock washer.
-Reconnect all the other linkages and reinastall the door panel.

You're done. Nice job.

Let me know if you get stuck or my details are a little off. I did this not too long ago, but my description may be a little lacking.

I have to get into my passenger door this weekend. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll fill in the blanks for you.

Thats how mine kept breaking...I just used zip ties tp hold the two pieces together. It worked great. if they broke, I just replaced em

·
Registered
318 Posts
I replaced my door handle today, so to help in this discussion I took a pic of my broken one, to show what has happened.

You can see it by going to http://www.geocities.com/t_rendell/images/(you will have to refresh that page) and clicking on "doorhandle.jpg"

The circled area is the part where the vivet came off. It appears like there is one there, but that is just grease. I had to finally replace this one becuase a spring in it finally broke.

WOO 500 posts!

BTW the process of viewing the pic DOES work.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I too have had this problem. I would NOT recommend getting a used handle, however to replace it, because the reason these handles stop working is that the little plastic and metal linkages on the interior of the handle wear out (as Rendell shows). I would recommend just going to the dealer and getting a new one unless you want to mess with the damn thing again when your used handle wears out. I got a brand new handle from the dealer about a year ago for about $90 (correct color and everything!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts