Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting off this problem i have with my door for a while...i now i have realized how important it is that i fix it NOW. My driver side door handle doesnt work from the outside, and the handle came loose so it just sits there...this didnt bother me because i could just leave the window open a crack and open it from the inside or from the passenger side. Just yesterday i rolled down my window while driving and the door popped open, i was driving about 40MPH and the door swung open! this of course scared the **** out of me so i tried shuting it and it wouldn't. So i rolled up the window and the door finally shut. After some careful analysis (staring at the door compleatly stupified) i figured out that somehow the door latch and the window are now attached and when i roll my window down about half way it pops it open as a slim jim would. My question to all of u DIY'ers is how do i take apart my door and what might i have to buy or look for to fix my door back to its normal working state?

thanks for all and any imput

G

·
I've had my door handle snap on me. You'll need a new unit from a junkyard. Take off inside door cover, and remove the plastic covering. The door handle is within easy access.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I believe there might even be a recall on this at the dealer (call your mazda dealer to find out)

The door handle not working from the outside is a very common problem. Do a "search" on this and you will find more info. The problem is usually related to the hardware on the back of the door handle. Take your interior door panel off and have a look.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Gandhi MX-6 said:
I've been putting off this problem i have with my door for a while...i now i have realized how important it is that i fix it NOW. My driver side door handle doesnt work from the outside, and the handle came loose so it just sits there...
My question to all of u DIY'ers is how do i take apart my door and what might i have to buy or look for to fix my door back to its normal working state?

~Re: door interior trim panel
As these guys stated, the panel must come off to access the door handle's hardware. The driver's door is subjected to alot of use, and this is a common problem.
To remove the panel, you'll need to locate and take out some screws. Depending on if you have pw/pdl & speakers, be careful of the wiring. The inside door & window handle, along with the armrest need to be loosened, before attempting to pry free the panel's retaining clips. The inner handle will have a control rod to the exterior latching handle. After checking the operation of this, remove it. Once the panel is off, the exterior handle will be easy to R & R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts