Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Anyone have a solution for a door lock that keeps on bloody freezing...I've tried Lock-DeIcer and WD40, but all that does is temporarily unfreeze the lock.

Do u guys know of anything else?

·
Registered
27 Posts
LOL....that happens to me too. honestly if u just blow hot air like just breathe hot air into the lock it works. Thats what i do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah, i had to do the same thing one time this winter. rain turned to freezing rain turned to ice. then my alarm wouldnt open my doors :( key wouldnt either :( pucker up and BLOW... WORKED!! :D

L8R
Nick

·
Registered
27 Posts
i washed my car once and it was so cold the locks froze. I blow and it was unfrozen. Hey whatever works right! No point in spending money on little contraptions that do the same thing

·
Registered
93 Posts
wd40 is not long lasting, and just runs off after a bit. I used a silicone lube spray (same shit i use on my bike chain) Did it in December when my locks froze for the first time, and even in all my trips to Whistler this winter, they never froze again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Blowing into the Key Hole is only for temporary use. It will make it worse the more times you do it. Your breath will freeze almost instantly after you blow it into the key hole. I would recommend NOT doing this unless it's an emergency. Use the silicon spray the other user mentioned. I have YET had a problem with mine! Later,

·
Registered
483 Posts
liquid graphite or powdered

liquid graphite or powdered, is the way to go, I did it after stripping my stock mazda keys.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The problem I has was that I was able to insert the key and actually turn it but the door wouldn't open. Left it for a day and the next day it worked. The next day i wripped out the panel and silicone greased every little point in the locking mechanism. No problems since Dec of 97, when i got the car.

- on a side note, one time I went to a car wash and after the car wash my car sat for like 5 minutes while the dudes dryied it. Afterwards when I went to leave, the water under the tires had frozen and I had to give it a little puch to get it going.... Another one was when I attempted to hand wash my car in the winter... I dipped the rag in the bucket, slapped i on the roof, walked away for a sec, came back and the rag got frozen on the hood.

I hate the winter

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's not just the key hole that freezes but the actually silinoid locking mech inside the door.. I was locked out of my car for three very cold days this january past. I was unable to even jimmy the door with a slim-jim due to the fact the the lock inside was frozen solid and wouldn't let go even with the slim-jim firmly pulling in the bar that unlocks it.. Anyway I finally got in be taping a narrow vacum cleaner attactment to the end of a hair drier and wedging it into the gap between the seal and glass and taping over the rest of the gap and letting it run.. Whoa that wasa mouth full. :) But after a couple of minutes I gave the key a turn and volia it unlocked..

As for a perminate fix I figure stripping the door and greasing everything good with silicone/white grease.

·
Registered
193 Posts
trunk lock stuck, how much to change all?

I haven't been able to turn my trunk lock key for 2 years now. I think it must be rusted because the little door covering the keyhole is broken open (probably a vandal).
I also think there were TSB's on door and trunk locks.
anyone have a fix for the trunk? or how much to have all the locks replaced by a locksmith??

- i think the power solenoid or whatever inside the door is what gets stuck. my key always turns in the lock when the alarm won't pop it open.

G

·
Every couple of years i take the inside door panel off and spray anything that moves with white grease. Learned that the hard way after having a dealer do the same thing. Easy to do and takes less than a hour per door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts