Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a notoriously stupid drivers side power window set-up. I have it taken apart, I put some grease on the track lots-o-grease. I am still getting the same poor operation. When I push the (up) button the window stutters, and doesn't rise, when I push the (down) button it goes down fine. I can push the(up) button and assist the window and it goes up fine. Does this sound like the regulator is bad, or should I try more grease? Maybe grease somewhere else? It seems I could figure this out by myself, I just want some input before I go to the junkie on monday. Thanks
-Dave-

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
drsjr1980 said:
I put some grease on the track lots-o-grease. I am still getting the same poor operation. When I push the (up) button the window stutters, and doesn't rise. Does this sound like the regulator is bad, or should I try more grease? Maybe grease somewhere else?
-Dave-
Maybe the relay isn't sending the right voltage from the switch. Check wiring connections and grounds. If you're going to the junkie's, pick up another switch.....relay.....and motor.
To check the regulator and tracks, disconnect the window glass from the regulator......this way you can tell if the glass is binding in the track channels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this same symptom on my '91 and ended up disassembling the entire window regulator.

What I found is too much grease and dirt, causing the gear to "jump" (that's the nasty clicking sound you hear.) The mechanism consists of a wire cable with plastic "beads" molded on. These "beads" engage a plastic gear mounted to the regulator motor. Degrease both of these parts and then put a very light coating of grease on them. (I used silcone grease - not spray.)

The other place to apply grease is the plastic guide connected to the glass. This rides up and down on the metal guide frame. Use a light silicone type grease. Heavy bearing greases will thicken in the cold weather.

It is a PIA to get regulator out of the door, but this should solve your problem.

Good luck.

ed

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
cheec2h said:
Use a light silicone type grease. Heavy bearing greases will thicken in the cold weather.
D'oh! I used bearing grease on mine...maybe that's why it sucks in the cold weather. I have a brand new regulator and motor from mazda and while it works smooth, it's kinda slow when it's really cold out.

I would recommend greasing the window guide tracks on as well as the bead track. You can use a q-tip to put some grease in the track you can see with the window rolled down.

If you ask me, I think this regulator design is rather stupid. I know that most parts stores sell a replacement regulator...maybe it's designed better than the OEM ones.

ed: how well does your window work after doing this? Mine takes about 4-5 seconds to go up or down in good weather. It's faster going down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed it is slightly slower when it is cold. (But we all know things shrink when cold :D - and then bind.)

However, cleaning up the moving parts made a huge difference. Before, the window would only go down about 2 inches before binding. Now it works great.

I agree, when I took it apart and saw how it was designed, I too am surprised it still works 13 years later.

Also, I had my door apart a number of times to try and grease things without taking it completely apart. Unfortunately, complete disassembly was the only way to fix the problem.

FYI, I used Simple Green to degrease. I was concerned solvents would attack the plastic parts.

Hope this helps.

ed

G

·
Dj_Diablo said:
Question is... will it work on the probe?

Probably not....
That makes me wonder if the probe unit could fit the MX-6....and if it is any better designed (being Ford...thats doubtful).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I replaced mine 3 times and finally said piss on it. Thats the big downside to power anything on these cars. I think when i get another mx6 im going to rewire the whole thing b/c i dont think the motors get enough current.

·
Registered
182 Posts
FlySwat said:
That makes me wonder if the probe unit could fit the MX-6....and if it is any better designed (being Ford...thats doubtful).

Well don't count on an amazing design because my driver window motor busted up. I was cruising down the highway with the windows up, then all of a sudden I hear this loud POP and my windows slowly goes down. Get home, take the side door panel off to find the line had broken and it got so tangled that I would need a new motor + regulator. This was like 6 months ago, and to this day I have a piece of wood holding up my window inside my door panel (which is very well fixed in place) but still no fuquing driver's side window!!!! I hate going through drive thru's and having to open the door and hand them the money over the window.

If anyone has one, I will buy from you this second!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts