Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I just bought a '95 MX-6 (4 cylinder) this past Tuesday.
And I love it!!!! It might not be the V6 model, but it sure beats the hell out of the '92 Corolla that I had previously.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering is what RPM's I should shift at? Is 3500 RPM a good shifting point, or should I shift at 3000 or lower? Also, is it normal for it to be running at 3500 RPM in 5th gear when I am doing about 80 mph on the highway?

(If so, then maybe the MX-6 is designed to run at slightly higher RPMs? Is this for performance maybe?).

Thanks, and this is a great organization!!!

-- Buzz.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've never driven the 4 with the manual transmission, but 3500 rpm shouldn't hurt it. I have the V-6, and I rarely shift below 3000 rpms unless the engine isn't fully warmed up. My normal shift point is between 3500 and 5000, depending on how fast I need to get there.

Your highway rpms sound okay...the V-6 5 speed does around 4000rpms at 80 but will happily do so all day long.

Tyson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually running your car is a good idea...it kills a lot of the carbon deposits in your motor, and if you don't run it hard it will build up. Also, the motor is running fine as is, just remember your car wants to be fixed up so do as much as you can to it. TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts