Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that dtomashov issue brings this to mind.

I'm not talking about the pro circuit, where a good flame retardant shoe can come in real handy at 190mph... but rather.. at the amateur level, where you see these idiots getting "geared up" with their absurdly expensive driving shoes... special gloves with nubs, and special glasses, etc.

I view them as tools for the mediocre. theyre absolutely convinced it helps them perform better.

I havent had a problem catching up to, alongside, and inevitably passing, cars that made more power than me, had supposedly better handling, and in general, vehicles that i just should not have been out driving, out apexing, and carrying more speed through a turn than... all in blue jeans and sneakers.

There have even been threads about "what driving shoe do you use" - lol!

its sad in a way.. reminds me of these over the hill mid life crisis wannabes who buy a motorcycle, and get all geared up to go hang out on weekends with their other midlife crisis buddies.

It was the same thing when drumming.. some of the other bands we'd play alongside... the drummers would have "drummer's shoes" and all kinds of expensive drumsticks, and specialized seats... and at the end of the day deliver a passable... but very mediocre performance... i could get out there drunk, playing on a milk crate, in socks, and with the cheapest set of unmatched weight practice sticks (10 pairs for 5.00 at sam ash!) you could find... and wow the audience.

Why is it that the mediocre always *need* to "outfit" themselves for their hobbies?

don't get me wrong.. i know the benefit of having the right set of tools... after thrashing a bunch of cheap sets, i pieced together one of quality components that met my needs... but i don't post up threads about them lol! that's almost always an exercise for the less talented.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've looked at the qualities that driving shoes have, and I have a pair of $40 Nike sneakers that have all the same qualities, and I can wear those anywhere. Since it got cold, I've been wearing leather gloves when I start driving, but I usually take them off after about 5-10 minutes. The feel of the wheel and the shifter is much better with the gloves on, and if my hands didn't get too warm, I would keep them on all the time.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are those the same gloves you were choking the oriental with?

:D

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
are those the same gloves you were choking the oriental with?

:D
Dude, Oriental is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian American please.

Btw, I do my best driving in my VC2 Nike Shox. It's really a bitch driving with size 14 nikes though :( My damn toe gets caught on the side trim of the center dash piece.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whatchu talkin bout.

we have a colored president now - i can say oriental!

lol :D

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
I'll admit it. The inner nerd in me thought these were super cool and I bought a pair.

I love how they combined the old school adidas SuperStar look with a tire tread sole, and goodyear logos, so I had to pick them up. Granted, I wear them almost everyday, they are comfortable as fuck, payed less than $50, and think that in no way shape or form help me drive. I just thought they looked really cool.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
If they made those in Red/Dark Grey or Black, I'd be all over them :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Why is it that the mediocre always *need* to "outfit" themselves for their hobbies?
because they are just that and think no one will notice if they're flashy enough.

it's like when i was on dance team. teams that didn't have the same skill level/talent as a team such as...well, mine...would use a lot of props and flashy stuff to try and hide the fact that they were severely lacking skill and talent. sometimes it worked (never led to a win however), but usually the judges could see right through their charade.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'll admit it. The inner nerd in me thought these were super cool and I bought a pair.

I love how they combined the old school adidas SuperStar look with a tire tread sole, and goodyear logos, so I had to pick them up. Granted, I wear them almost everyday, they are comfortable as fuck, payed less than $50, and think that in no way shape or form help me drive. I just thought they looked really cool.
no offense to you or your taste in shoes....but ew. lol i am so picky about shoes that i almost never buy any because there is always something about them i don't like.

i know it doesn't really matter, but damn it i'm fucking low maintenance and could care less about anything else. let me have my weirdness about shoes!

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
^^Your crazy. Those shoes are le secks. Same as the Puma Ferrari shoes.

All that asides. Ive always been mediocre and never fancied myself with specialty tools or fancy equipment. So I can care less for driving shoes, or gloves, or good guitars (although my acoustic is over 40 y/o) or anything of that nature. Come to find out sometimes the "mediocre" quality products are a whole lot better than the high end ones. Except for watches and shoes. Im a sucker for those.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
^^Your crazy. Those shoes are le secks. Same as the Puma Ferrari shoes.

All that asides. Ive always been mediocre and never fancied myself with specialty tools or fancy equipment. So I can care less for driving shoes, or gloves, or good guitars (although my acoustic is over 40 y/o) or anything of that nature. Come to find out sometimes the "mediocre" quality products are a whole lot better than the high end ones. Except for watches and shoes. Im a sucker for those.
I could rock some Puma Ferrari's :D

But I did 'promise' myself that I would build myself some Nike Shox just for driving, well...just because I can :p

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
those pumas are sexy.

im low maintenance too and i dont have a thing abotu shoes, the only thing that i have an issue with is some no named shit like mac and cheese, ketchup and mayo. Have to be KD, Heinz and Hellmans. lol

feen

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
those pumas are sexy.

im low maintenance too and i dont have a thing abotu shoes, the only thing that i have an issue with is some no named [shizzle] like mac and cheese, ketchup and mayo. Have to be KD, Heinz and Hellmans. lol

feen
Mac n Cheese = homemade, accept no substituion
Catsup = Heinz of course
Mayonaise = Homemade, or Best Foods (it lasts longer lol)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I heard that ketchup is one of the few foods that stimulates every part of the tongue, and when it's not made properly it tastes like period blood. That's why Heinz is choice and homemade stuff brings you back to the days of earning your wings.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts