Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second winter that I've had my 6 and I've noticed that when the climate gets colder, my gas mileage drops off significantly. During the spring and summer months, I get between 350-360 miles on a tankful. During the winter months, I only get 300 miles. Has anybody else experienced this as well? I've heard the oil companies put additives in the gas during winter, which might affect mileage, but I think a 50 mile dropoff is a bit much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
don't know about that. I went from my summer sport tires to my reg rims and all season cheap ole badass tires the car came with and my milage went UP.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First off, with all the variation and history of these cars, comparing
gas mileage against one another is a waste of time. It would be better to measure only your ride against itself. Driving conditions,
heavy right foot, type of gas, city/highway, tire pressure, 02 sensors/plugs/wires/disty condition, not empty tank @ fillup,etc, etc. I get 400 mpg if I go easy, and 350 if I'm lead-footed....just depends on what the chic looks like next to me or who wants to
race!

·
Registered
20 Posts
ive noticed almost the same exact thing and i havent changed tires or anything i just have all seasons i guess its just one of those things we got no control over

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed the samething. In the summer I get about 500 to 550km out of a tank and now in my first winter I am only getting about 450km/tank. But I think I need new spark plugs and wires so that may be the difference?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have heard that some regions, particularly the northern areas, will use a different "winter" formula for gasoline. I don't know the specifics, but such a change would certainly account for the seasonal variations, I would think.

Here in Massachusetts, we don't seem to use different fuels seasonally, but it's always that reformulated crap that reduces mileage by about 10-20%. California does the same.

I get about 290 miles per tank all the time, though, all short trip "city" driving. On longer highway trips, I can usually get about 320 miles per tank.

·
Registered
357 Posts
schwinn said:
I have heard that some regions, particularly the northern areas, will use a different "winter" formula for gasoline. I don't know the specifics, but such a change would certainly account for the seasonal variations, I would think.

Here in Massachusetts, we don't seem to use different fuels seasonally, but it's always that reformulated crap that reduces mileage by about 10-20%. California does the same.
on the flip side, other states use different formulas for the SUMMER time also... this is to offset the increased driving in the warmer months as compared to the dwindle in driving frequency that usually occurs as the temp drops...
here in delaware, we have special additives required by law that are put in to the fuel during warmer, summer months to increase mileage by 5-15%...

then again, delaware is a state that's kinda tough on emissions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I only get 17mpg w/ a v6 atx, thats around 210 miles a tank. And I go easy on it. I dont know what you guys are complaining about getting 300 a tank.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
jdk3034 said:
I only get 17mpg w/ a v6 atx, thats around 210 miles a tank. And I go easy on it. I dont know what you guys are complaining about getting 300 a tank.
I am not complaining. However, you should be. 17mpg when "going easy" is miserable. I have never gotten less than 20mpg, and that was because my O2 sensors were bad so the car was running rich.

·
Registered
83 Posts
jdk3034 said:
Methinks JDK needs a good old fashioned tune up - also try running higher octane. I get WAY worse milage on crap gas, so I only run 94 octane. witha tank of 87 I can literally watch it drop in sync with my foot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hell i got a 4 cylinder ranger that gets like between 13-17 mpg's. I think you get worse gas mileage in the winter is cuz u let your car warm up longer and it idles longer till it gets warmed up. Thats just what i think though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
how big are you gas tanks? my ze in my mx3 gets like 250 on a 10 gallon tank. the light comes on at like 220!! this cant be

1 - 19 of 19 Posts