Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some people say that a drop in filter does a better job than a cone filter for our 1st gen. GT's

is this true? any insight would be extremly helpfull and may save me some cash

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally believe that the cone filter is the way to go. There is a disagreement though between the 2 groups. Some say that the panel filter is better because it stays isolated from the engine's hot air. However it is still hampered by the restrictiveness of the stock air intake system.
The cone filter benefits from an almost unrestricted air supply, the only problem is that it is able to suck up the hot engine air.

Personally, I believe that the massive amounts of air that the cone filter can ingest more than offsets the fact that it's hot air, and on a cold day...you can really tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Get the best of both worlds..a cone with a head shield.

·
Registered
405 Posts
is that heat sheild on your ractive filter sold seperatly? i just went out and bought me some dryer duct hose and plan to hook it up this weekend. i would like to isolate the filter but i really cant come up with any solid idea's that would look decent. also i bought the vent that goes on the side of the house (for the dryer vent). i plan on putting it in front of the wheel well (bottom of course) to get a ram air effect. i will post some pics when i get it done.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I know from experience on an mx-6 nonturbo that a K&N panel filter works better than a unshielded cone filter. However on the turbo that may be different since the turbo sucks in a hell of a lot more air than the N/A. I used the Ractive setup on my 626 and it works awesome. After driving around, you can pop the hood, and while everything under the hood is hot as hell, the filter casing is cool to the touch. Well worth the $30 IMO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok here's the question of the day. What about all those other peolpe out there with hondas acuras... you get the point that use cone filters. I can't really belive that our cars run so much hotter than thiers do. So why haven't they pic up on that drop ins are better? If they even are I think that I'm going to try the cone unless some on can convince me other wise. Besides most of those honda guys are all running N/A just like me. Just a thought.

Pyro
89 XL

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a GT and I just upgraded from the Drop In K&N to a cone filter. The engine heat does make a bit of a damper...but for some odd, but awesome reason whenever I gun it around 3000rpm and lay off the gas immediately, the filter gives off a blow-off valve type of release that can be heard in the cockpit. I have been noticing I get more bite at high rpms and more of a constant and steady pull from the turbo with the cone filter. I plan on changing to a Ractive within the next week to see if there is a difference. BTW Smachan, the heat shield comes attached to the Ractive filter.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You hear a blow-off valve sound because your car has a blow off valve... :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was told that its a by-pass valve...*shrugs and gets back in line*

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is a bypass valve in that it takes the compressed air aft of the turbo and re-deposits it behind the turbo to help keep the turbo spooled in between shifts. A traditional blow-off valve will just let out all of the compressed air in order to keep it from running backwards back into the compressors blades. Both are there for the same reason, to keep the compressed air from running back into the compressors blades and causing damage.

·
Registered
375 Posts
cool free mod

Hey guys do this. You know the rubber tube coming of the
by-pass valve, remove it, letting it blow off into the atmosphere. Place something to cover the pipe opening where it blows of into. You end up with a blow-off valve, it makes one hell of a PHHHHHH sound between gear changes and after you get off the gas. Try it out you wont be disapointed, later.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can you explain exactly where it is real quick man?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey I want the BOV sound!! haha - I heard that if you use a BOV in our cars the ECU meters all that air and sprays the fuel for it (even though half of it has gone out of the newly made BOV). HMmm... I dont know what damage that would do (if any) but hey!

I'm gonna modify my Air Box setup so i can hear the BOV!!!

haha peace

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well I put on the Ractive Heat Shield filter a few days ago. There is a minute loss of sound over the unshielded cone filter, but there is a little bit more bite in 2nd and 3rd gear. Still get the BOV noise though, woohoo! : ) I'll get pics in a few days.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Air FLow adapter?

When you got the Ractive, did you have to get an air flow adapter? Where did you get it? How much did you pay?

G

·
Alright guys, I'm kinda in a toss up here. I'm trying to understand all this. What is my best option for a filter? I dunno about all the Ractivce stuff and what or how to obtain a heat sheild?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think the best possible setup would be a cone air filter that is placed low in the engine bay (cold air intake) but this would have to be all custom and i doubt worth the effort.

In my car all i did was get a drop in K&N then replaces all the intake after the airbox with a dryer duct that sticks out from under the front of my cars bumper. all i know is that i'm not getting any hot air in my intake and that it acts kinda like a ram air setup, o i am pretty happy.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
you can buy an adaptor from Autozone for like $16, you'll have to also make a bracket to connect your vaf to one of the bolt holes that housed your airbox( for stability reasons) and then use whatever kind of cone you want.

I have a K&N cone with a hoodscoop from a Nissan 280Z, for a heat shield, I used 1 inch foam board that is normally used for insulation, you know that stuff that is silver on one side

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
better yet, you can get one of those adapters from the junk yard, out of an mr2 or other toyotas that use that same vaf as our cars.

but $16 is pretty reasonable, i could only find one for about $30 around here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts