Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I wanna put in some bass into the car. I would like to know which is the best (from your experiences) for punchym tight, but loud bass. I know u can't compare a dual 10" kenwood to a 15" Dynaudio, so I am tryna compare a setup of similar make/power/quality subs. is a dula setup better than a larger single woofer setup? I also wanted to compare dual 10 to dual 12 cause I think dual 12 may be too much. true or not? any input appreciated

·
Registered
314 Posts
I our cars, 15"s don't fit comforably. 10s or 12s are good, I prefer 12s because when you have 10s you always wish you got 12s to have a LITTLE more bass. I had 1 12" in my 6, I was louder than 3 12JLw3s.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
xenithon said:
Hey guys,

I wanna put in some bass into the car. I would like to know which is the best (from your experiences) for punchym tight, but loud bass. I know u can't compare a dual 10" kenwood to a 15" Dynaudio, so I am tryna compare a setup of similar make/power/quality subs. is a dula setup better than a larger single woofer setup? I also wanted to compare dual 10 to dual 12 cause I think dual 12 may be too much. true or not? any input appreciated
I have a while been testing out a 15" in a closed box
i have also tried dual 8 ohm 10" in a ported box
the 15" are a bit slow but goes deeper
The 10" are lightning fast and hitting really hard
but dont go all the way down.
I think i will try dual 10" in a closed box before i take my
final stand

ps i have 4 Rockford 10" maybe ill try all 4 in a closed box
:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
The equation is not as simple as 2x 10" or 2x 12".. A lot comes down to the design of the box that you end up using.

SNIP From another EF MAX post on this subject.

2x 10's sound like 2x 10's.
1x 12" sounds like 1x 12".
..and 1x 15" sounds like 1x 15"

For the record the average 10" speaker has a cone surface area of approx 345cm/2 and a 12 is about 520cm/2 and a 15" about 860cm/2.

As for how they sound, they all sound different and this is then down to brand of speaker and enclosure dependant.

With a decent box and a decent amp a 15 can go very low but don't expect it to play hard fast accurate music like a 10 that can't go as low but will punch holes through your chest like nails.

2x 12's are design to do a different job to that of 1x 15".

If you are after reasonable low bass but also top quality SQ go for 2x 10".

If you want good strong low stuff and you have got a good set of 6.5's or 8's upfront then a 15" is fine.

If you want a good balance of SQ and SPL, especially if the shape of your boot says no to a 15" then go for 2x 12's.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
if you want tight punchy bass, but want some volume.. get the 12's but put them in the smallest sealed boc possible, this will give you tight reponse yet you will still have 12" of moving mass, however you will need more power in a smaller enclosure ... Kicker Solabaric anyone!!!

the smaller the area the more difficult it is to compress the air.. due to air having mass ... If we lived in outer space, subs would be a different ball game ...

-Scuba-

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've compared subs with a lot of people. I have 2 rf punches in a sealed trunk box in my car. I'm using a 350 watt (at 4 ohms) mtx thunder amp to push them and I've dropped it to two ohms. it sounds good, produces tight response and satisfies all my needs. the only thing this won't do is produce that loud annoying bass that you can hear 5 blocks away outside the car. if thats what you're after, go for a small 10 (or two) in a small box and a huge friggin amp (ie solo barric w/ a kicker 400-500 watt amp). it depends on what you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a six with one kicker 8 ohm 10 in a bandpass box and i had better bass than a set of cheap rockford 12s and i was using a small amp 160 watt to be exact and i had a system that was the envy of the block with seprated in the front and the rear i recomend 2 10s in a ported box go with kicker be cause they are great speakers and as far as amps go i think that RF is too much money you could try going for an mtx or jbl they make good amps for subs from what i have heard i kno that 2 10s wont be as loud as 15 but i think that they will be easyer to put in or take out if you need to and they wont weigh as much so you wouldnt have tons of weight in the rear of your car. just some ideas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts