Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired a black MX-6 GT Turbo with a freshly rebuild (as in i helped put it back in the car) and i have a couple of dumb questions for the class. First you can read my previous thread about the issues with the climate control circuit. Anyway the car idles really rough, i am hoping a tune up will fix that (original plugs & wires from 89). Does anybody else have the factory am/fm/cassette/cd player with the panasonic acoustic environment control thingy, it sounds okay when i am stopped, but if anything moves there is a scratching noise like a bad connection, anybody ever dealt with this before. And is it true that the engine is an interference engine (i.e. timing belt breaks and the valves and head get acquainted very quickly..) Thanks in advance, and if there is anything else you think i should know, please let me know....

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I asked a Mazda service managre if the engine was interference once and he said it wasn't. But everyone seems to think it is. I'm not for sure if it is or not. I just assume it is and follow the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not an immediate fear, the belt was replaced when the car had 82,000 on it and now it's at 96,000. They also replaced, get ready for this list, the turbo, radiator, starter, alternator, alternator, valve cover gasket, water pump, and a couple of other small things at the same time. Got to love previous owners.......

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
strange... I read somewhere that the 2.2L Mazda engine is an interference engine. Perhaps an internet search is in order...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Man you are lucky to have all that new stuff on a car with such low miles. I wonder though, what the previous owners did to it to neccessitate replacement of the turbo. I still have my original one, at my high mileage.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Okay, the engine is NOT interference, if you'll look at the pistons, there are cutouts so the valves can open and not touch the piston. I'm 90% sure on this. As for the stereo I'm not sure, I don't have the panasonic thing, but, it sounds to me like a short somewhere between the stereo and the speakers. I've got a short, and sometimes when I hit a bump, the whole left side cuts out, front and rear. And sometimes it just sounds scratchy. If I bang on the console next to the stereo, it'll cut back in :D
Gotta replace the head unit, and the wires from the stereo to the speakers in my case, maybe yours, too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, our engines are the non-interference type.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats exactly what my radio does, with the scratching and the going out, but it sounds so good i would hate to do it, but oh well. Okay then my next question is where can i get a normal panel for the radio, most of the mx-6's i have seen have the space for the normal size radio and a storage cubby, mine has the radio and nothing else (it's huge). I guess i will have to try a salvage yard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay some more dump questions, i have the push button hvac thingy as i mentioned and i have no heat it's 75 for the replacement controller from mazdarecycling.com. My question is there anyway to test the motor in the car, like applying voltage to the hvac harnesses that go to the controller to switch the system to heat just to make sure everything is working. If there is how much voltage and at which points. Any help would be greatly appreciated,and btw, I love this car besides. Any hints on recommended oil would be greatly appreciated, loyal to Pennzoil, but should i go synthetic, car has 97000 miles.....Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use Valvoline full synthetic. Good stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no heat..I think the problem is in the controller. But i was trying to figure a way to narrow it down before i go out and control head....

·
Registered
113 Posts
TexasMX6GT said:
Okay, the engine is NOT interference, if you'll look at the pistons, there are cutouts so the valves can open and not touch the piston. I'm 90% sure on this.
Those cutouts on the pistons have nothing to do with the engine being an interference or not. Most factory turbocharged cars have dished pistons in order to lower the compression ratio

1 - 13 of 13 Posts