Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a new member to MX6.com, and I got some major questions.
You can skip this story and go straight to the questions...

To begin, I'm a student in Orlando Florida, my mom bought an awesome demo MX-6 LS back in 93 and it was beautiful. About 2 years ago, back in late 98, I bought it from her for a $1500. Now, damn, this car had dints and dings everywhere and the gascap was missing, the interior wasn't any better, I could go on and on. Anyways, its at over 200,000 miles now and the transmission slowly died a few months ago. Well, I just took out a huge loan and since I'm moving in with my grandmother, I wont be using half this money now, and I'd love to fix up this beautiful car!

Between credit cards and the loan, here's what I can do, tell me if I'm crazy and if not, go any ideas?!?

I've been quoted:
$2500 - 2700 to rebuild V6 (engine is still in excellent condition!)
$1700 to fix transmission
$3000 for new body and silver paint job
$1000 for Shogun kit and rear spoiler (group discount)
$700 for new AC / Fix CD Changer / fix Windows and sunroof
$500 for excellent condition power MX6 seats front and back
$650 for Amp. and 5x7 Speakers in back
$1200 for 16in ASA JS1 RIMS and high performance tires
$140 for Window tint job
$100 for Brushed Metallic interior
$250 for Superchip mod
$20 for cold air intake
$350 for Knight Rider frong light assembly (sweeeeet!)
$100 for Cobra Radar 6200
$140 for Avital 6500 Keyless Entry Alarm unit
$--- for new exhaust?
$-- to lower suspension?
What is the max horsepower I can get out of my MX-6?

Thats what its look'n like so far, I'm sure I'll be thrilled with the results, but is it worth it? Am I crazy?
Got any ideas? I'd love the feedback! Thanks!

[Edited by Ralph on 12-04-2000 at 12:29 AM]

·
Registered
257 Posts
buy a different mx-6. my friend is sellin his 93 for like 4 grand cause the body is f'ed up. his engine is perfect, it's an automatic, not sure what u got or if that helps. 650 for an amp and 5x7's is NUTZ. i was in car audio for 6 years. if you want i'll call on some hook ups. we'll get you soundin nice. 2500 to REBUILD a kl03?!?! get a f'in ZE MAN!! 1400, and 200HP! i'll give you my 17's wit tires for the same 1200,16's are pointless. our wheelwells are too big. or just get 93PGT rims or 93+ rx7 rims they are both 16" and FAR from 1200 bux. i could go on for dayz. if u pay those prices for those things......i got a new bridge in stock =)... wanna buy it?
i advise against whoever gave u that info. the term rape comes to mind. and you would be the victim.

GOOD LUCK ANYWAY =)
if u need anything, e-me

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sorry man, I'd start with another car that don't need so much.

I'd definetly advise against rebuilding the Motor. I'd get a KLZE for about $1400.

Good luck on whatever you decide. We'd love to have you.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Also, over 200K miles is a shitload. Even if you get the engine and Tranny right, there is a lot of other things that can and WILL go wrong.

One other thing, man, $12,000 will get you a bad ass car, MX6 or otherwise. You shouldn't even have to spend that much. Maybe buy a $6000 car (that is in good shape--you can find one for that kind of money), and put $6000 into it. Man, you could have a "dream" car.

Good luck

G

·
Don't be crazy....putting that much money into a car with those miles is INSANE. I just bought my 96 LS with 44,000 miles on it for 10 grand. You'd have an extra 2 grand to work with on upgrades like stereo, intake, exhaust, etc. Plus you'd have a nicer car in general. Mine has all the shit u can get, including those completely necessary heated rear view mirrors. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
The truth

If I where you I would look into buying used MX-6 then trying to fix your old one up. $15 000 is a lot of cash you can buy 94 and up for less than that. The upgrades sound really cool but I don't think the cars worth it

Sorry Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay guys, after all your great comments I thought it over.

I found a great deal on a 94 MX-6 fully loaded with the badass V6 engine from a dealership, and they said it was one of the nicest they'd ever seen in excellent condition with 70K miles. They're asking 6K, I think that's reasonable, of course I'll probably get away with 5700 or so. If I do this I'll be saving a buttload of money and still have plenty left to do some mods, not to mention I'll make a little off the MX-6 I have now. Thanks guys, I think you've convinced me to not make a stupid move!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Between you and I, I feel that you can do anything with your money. What I don't get is all this upgrading that you're planning to do. I was completely puzzled in what you wanted to achieve. Tell me if I'm wrong but the way I see it you want to repair the car from damage, improve the sound system and also make it a race? You're ghetto. I think you should reconsider these over-priced quotes and start by researching on automobiles. For example, if you want more horsepower and less weight, why on earth would you install a booming sound system? So if you're more into racing, I suggest spending your money on the powertrain modifications. On the other hand, if you want to drive in style and want the hunnies turning there heads to the great tunes in your car then spend it on int./ext. repairs and a kickazz sound system.

-Cheers

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i go along with what everybody has said, dont do it, to many miles, other things wil go wrong with the car, fin du some thing else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you guys are right, I don't know if you saw the post above, but I've decided against fix'n this MX-6. I'm looking at buying one for around 6K (good deal on it) and going from there. To answer N4TE33, I've wanted to fix this car up for 2 years and never had the money, I guess after a while it kinda builds on you. I have an attachment to this car, its come along way with my family, it lasted forever 220,000. So I'd love to fix it up. However once again, I have decided to sell this one and buy a newer model with low miles and go from there.
Over the last couple of years I've learned to love every aspect of cars! Hopefully by doing it this way I'll shave off a good bit of change and not waste tooo much. Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man all i gotta say is that if you were to do everything that you want to that car it would be f*cking sweeeet! but you have to look at the fact that that engine has over 200grand on it and as for the interior and trans you would be better off gettin a new one it would just be to much work and think of what the result might be. i just picked up mine about 2 months ago with 45,000 miles on it for 4grand you should just look around for another its your best bet.and i'm sure you could find a better price on the sterio system as well(you might wanna just forget the sterio sustem and slam the thing and throw an exhaust on it instead) well whatever you decide to do good luck!

·
Registered
441 Posts
well man to be honest with you the best thing you said in your post is that you got an mx6 :) good call there but like the other guys said 12k on a 200,000 mile car no thnx bro

good luck with whatever you do welcome aboard

G

·
Apparently nobody reads more than the first post, the guy has said two times he's getting a 94 for $6000. Is it a manual? Don't get an auto dude! Anyways, it sounds like you got a really good deal on the car, I got my 93 LS V6 with 80 thou for $6800 about a year ago. Get the KLZE engine, put some lowering springs and some good rims (go to www.wheelmax.com for some great deals, best I've seen anywhere) and you'll have a sweet ass car for not much. Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
willmx6? Idiot?

Well well well aren't we a little bit going overboard. Duuuuude, I didn't see anything in the first 2 post regarding a 94' for 6K! Go drive around a bit, you need the break.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
n4te33--uh, there must be something wrong with your computer.

I'm with WillMX6, I saw you say it twice Ralph. I'm behind your decision. I also hope you get a standard.

Anyone else miss the 2 times? Maybe there is something wrong with the board....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ha, thats funny I seen him post that he found one around $6K twice also!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeap, I noticed too. Good thinking Ralph. You'll be able to do a lot with the extra money... but you could save even more buy buying from an individaul rather than a dealer. You have the cash... no financing right? Check out http://www.autotrader.com for something. I just picked up a black '93 LS for 4.5k using autotrader. With all the extra money I didn't spend I can get 'da works', be looking for me guys... the only other obstacle in my 'dream works' is my wife.... you married guys know about this one! They just don't understand it's a guy thing... and egos.... Any of you like the dragon intake by weapon r? Just curious...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Third post!

Hey guys, (hope you catch this one!)
Thanks for all the replies, without you guys I might have invested alot of money into the wrong car.
Although I'm buying the MX-6 LS from the dealership, 5,700 isn't bad for 70K in excellent condition. Not to mention the fact that I want one in silver and that I'm saving 3,000 bucks by not having to re-paint my red one. I'm pretty happy with this deal, I'll probably have it as soon as this Sunday. Wish me luck, and if any of you have any suggestions on what to look for WRONG in an MX-6. Let me know, I think I have a pretty good idea with the one I have now, but you never know!
Thanks guys, its nice to be a member!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts