Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$2000 has been spent and "NO HORSEPOWER" has been made. I have a 1996 MX6 V6/5-speed "M-Edition". This vehicle has 45,000 miles on it. I put on a HOTSHOT full stack cold air intake, BOSAL Headers, high flow cat, GREDDY exhaust, and then sent my ECU to JET to get it recalibrated for all the mods. NO HORSEPOWER is being made. I was skeptical when "SPORT COMPACT CAR" discontinued their Project Probe, so I went ahead and did the mods myself. Ford/Mazda engineers created an engine which was maxed out for power from the getgo. If you want quick easy power turn to NOS. You can now pick up the KL-ZE engine with 200+ HP for under $2000.00. There is a stroker kit for the KL-03 and KL-ZE engines. It will extend the bore and stroke bringing the engine size to 2.7L w/forced induction or 2.8L for naturally aspirated setup's. Horsepower for our vehicles is not cheap. Besides my M-Edition, I also have a Civic. If you were to spend $2000 in bolt-on's for a Civic, you will have just purchased 30-40HP. Purchase a KL-ZE and before you throw it under the hood, make it a project. Extrude Hone the manifold, bore the throttle body, get the valves reworked, install a stroker kit, knife edge the crank, install a new fuel delivery system. There has never been ONE person in the world to ever take a Probe or MX6 to the max. Who will be the first? Contact TKT down in Miami. The owner of this company used to build huge turbine engines with monster turbo's for the military. This gentleman has a twin-turbo kit, when used in conjuction with a KL-ZE engine, outfitted with a host of bolt-on's and internal modifications, has been rated at 660+ HP. Believe it, or not, our engine has amazing potential. All you need is money, and the want and need to have the fastest MX6 ever. I have the list of companies and the names of the CEO's, with phone numbers if you are interested. My M-Edition is coming along slowely. I have tackled the braking needs with the 13" AP Racing brake conversion last summer. I have tackled the suspension with front/rear sway bars, front/rear tower ties, camber kits, coil over springs w/5-way Tokicos, and upper and lower control arm bushings as well as bushings for the tie rod ends. The vehicle now rolls on 18X7.5 AKT 5ZR Copse with Yokohama "Parada's". Once you have the suspension and the brakes upgraded you should then think about power adders. Be safe and keep the racing for the tracks. Later......................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
sounds funny

i dont see how you couldnt have gained any horse power when you did all those upgrades. Maninly the intake and exhaust, cause you should have picked up like 7 or 8 hp at least, just because it can breathe so much easier than with the stock exhaust system and closed in filter box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
dcphinfan said:
$2000 has been spent and "NO HORSEPOWER" has been made. I have a 1996 MX6 V6/5-speed "M-Edition". This vehicle has 45,000 miles on it. I put on a HOTSHOT full stack cold air intake, BOSAL Headers, high flow cat, GREDDY exhaust, and then sent my ECU to JET to get it recalibrated for all the mods. NO HORSEPOWER is being made. I was skeptical when "SPORT COMPACT CAR" discontinued their Project Probe, so I went ahead and did the mods myself.
Your experience reflects roughly what SCC saw with their initial 96 Probe and many, myself included, suspect that the OBD-II PCM is partially to blame for restricting power. Those mods on a 1993-1995 car would have brought the wheel power from the stock 135-ish to a good 147-150; dyno plots abound for people with V6 PGTs and MX6s with this mod combination making a good 10-15HP over stock.

Also, I have to wonder if JET got their collective sh!t together since the SCC Project Probe days when it was found that by adding the JET-tuned PCM to the car, it lost something like 10HP across the board.

Ford/Mazda engineers created an engine which was maxed out for power from the getgo.
Actually, I think it's safer to say that Mazda created an engine that was strangled from the getgo by parts that are not easily changed (intake manifold, cylinder heads) and parts that, while fairly easy to swap, are not well supported in the aftermarket (camshafts.) The KL03 is a sedan engine, tuned to provide a fat (well, for a 2.5L engine) torque curve and smooth operation. To this end, there's not alot of cam overlap, duration or lift, the intake is convoluted internally and has very long, thin runners and the head ports are matched to the lame intake. These make for an engine that has great low-RPM torque, enhanced by VRIS, but which doesn't breath much past 6200RPM.

Check out interpreptuning.com and see what some real breathing changes can do for the engine.

If you want quick easy power turn to NOS.
NOS easily has the best bang/buck ratio but it's frought with potential problems.

You can now pick up the KL-ZE engine with 200+ HP for under $2000.00.
Yep. However, unless fitted with an EGR hack it may have legality (emissions inspections) issues in some areas and without a properly programmed PCME, with genuine KLZE timing and VRIS calibrations, the engine won't be performing at its full potential.

There is a stroker kit for the KL-03 and KL-ZE engines. It will extend the bore and stroke bringing the engine size to 2.7L w/forced induction or 2.8L for naturally aspirated setup's. Horsepower for our vehicles is not cheap. <*snip*> Purchase a KL-ZE and before you throw it under the hood, make it a project. Extrude Hone the manifold, bore the throttle body, get the valves reworked, install a stroker kit, knife edge the crank, install a new fuel delivery system. There has never been ONE person in the world to ever take a Probe or MX6 to the max. Who will be the first?
Allan Wong has already done the KL03 stroker kit (he bought Fortier's Probe Industries kit) in his 626 and has a turbo setup that's 20+PSI capable. At 18PSI, he was turning over 300HP to the front wheels. He's got fuel issues to work out, not to mention driveline reliability issues.

This gentleman has a twin-turbo kit, when used in conjuction with a KL-ZE engine, outfitted with a host of bolt-on's and internal modifications, has been rated at 660+ HP.
In light of the fact that 2.2L Honda motors are up in that area, I suppose it's possible that a KL-series engine could, technically, be built to do the same thing. I will say that it's one thing to rate the airflow capacity of the turbo system to say it'll flow enough air to support 660HP, but it's quite another to produce dyno plots of an engine that actually made that power and lived to pull another day.

Also, the Honda mill has the benefit of a decade of aftermarket support and years of racer development. Pistons, rods, camshafts, sheet-metal intakes, custom turbo exhaust manifolds, block guards etc are all commonplace items for the H22 Honda motor. No such market exists for the KL V6s. In building a 660HP KL you'd be treading into the territory of expensive one-offs and prototypes, asking suppliers to build you parts that don't yet exist and have never been tested. It's only money I guess.

Also, while the Integra gearbox has proven reliability (they survive a few trips down the 1/4-mile behind that 2.2L motor), the MTX in the MX6 has no such record. Allan managed to strip his cars 5th gear (!) and others have reported weak shifter forks, dicey synchros etc. What use is 660HP if the gearbox will only take 280HP with any measure of reliability (and only if driven gently at that)?
 

·
Smot-Poker
Joined
·
1,499 Posts
:)

Mike 94PGT said:
dcphinfan said:
$2000 has been spent and "NO HORSEPOWER" has been made. I have a 1996 MX6 V6/5-speed "M-Edition". This vehicle has 45,000 miles on it. I put on a HOTSHOT full stack cold air intake, BOSAL Headers, high flow cat, GREDDY exhaust, and then sent my ECU to JET to get it recalibrated for all the mods. NO HORSEPOWER is being made. I was skeptical when "SPORT COMPACT CAR" discontinued their Project Probe, so I went ahead and did the mods myself.
Your experience reflects roughly what SCC saw with their initial 96 Probe and many, myself included, suspect that the OBD-II PCM is partially to blame for restricting power. Those mods on a 1993-1995 car would have brought the wheel power from the stock 135-ish to a good 147-150; dyno plots abound for people with V6 PGTs and MX6s with this mod combination making a good 10-15HP over stock.

Also, I have to wonder if JET got their collective sh!t together since the SCC Project Probe days when it was found that by adding the JET-tuned PCM to the car, it lost something like 10HP across the board.

Ford/Mazda engineers created an engine which was maxed out for power from the getgo.
Actually, I think it's safer to say that Mazda created an engine that was strangled from the getgo by parts that are not easily changed (intake manifold, cylinder heads) and parts that, while fairly easy to swap, are not well supported in the aftermarket (camshafts.) The KL03 is a sedan engine, tuned to provide a fat (well, for a 2.5L engine) torque curve and smooth operation. To this end, there's not alot of cam overlap, duration or lift, the intake is convoluted internally and has very long, thin runners and the head ports are matched to the lame intake. These make for an engine that has great low-RPM torque, enhanced by VRIS, but which doesn't breath much past 6200RPM.

Check out interpreptuning.com and see what some real breathing changes can do for the engine.

If you want quick easy power turn to NOS.
NOS easily has the best bang/buck ratio but it's frought with potential problems.

You can now pick up the KL-ZE engine with 200+ HP for under $2000.00.
Yep. However, unless fitted with an EGR hack it may have legality (emissions inspections) issues in some areas and without a properly programmed PCME, with genuine KLZE timing and VRIS calibrations, the engine won't be performing at its full potential.

There is a stroker kit for the KL-03 and KL-ZE engines. It will extend the bore and stroke bringing the engine size to 2.7L w/forced induction or 2.8L for naturally aspirated setup's. Horsepower for our vehicles is not cheap. <*snip*> Purchase a KL-ZE and before you throw it under the hood, make it a project. Extrude Hone the manifold, bore the throttle body, get the valves reworked, install a stroker kit, knife edge the crank, install a new fuel delivery system. There has never been ONE person in the world to ever take a Probe or MX6 to the max. Who will be the first?
Allan Wong has already done the KL03 stroker kit (he bought Fortier's Probe Industries kit) in his 626 and has a turbo setup that's 20+PSI capable. At 18PSI, he was turning over 300HP to the front wheels. He's got fuel issues to work out, not to mention driveline reliability issues.

This gentleman has a twin-turbo kit, when used in conjuction with a KL-ZE engine, outfitted with a host of bolt-on's and internal modifications, has been rated at 660+ HP.
In light of the fact that 2.2L Honda motors are up in that area, I suppose it's possible that a KL-series engine could, technically, be built to do the same thing. I will say that it's one thing to rate the airflow capacity of the turbo system to say it'll flow enough air to support 660HP, but it's quite another to produce dyno plots of an engine that actually made that power and lived to pull another day.

Also, the Honda mill has the benefit of a decade of aftermarket support and years of racer development. Pistons, rods, camshafts, sheet-metal intakes, custom turbo exhaust manifolds, block guards etc are all commonplace items for the H22 Honda motor. No such market exists for the KL V6s. In building a 660HP KL you'd be treading into the territory of expensive one-offs and prototypes, asking suppliers to build you parts that don't yet exist and have never been tested. It's only money I guess.

Also, while the Integra gearbox has proven reliability (they survive a few trips down the 1/4-mile behind that 2.2L motor), the MTX in the MX6 has no such record. Allan managed to strip his cars 5th gear (!) and others have reported weak shifter forks, dicey synchros etc. What use is 660HP if the gearbox will only take 280HP with any measure of reliability (and only if driven gently at that)?

Word!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Also, I do not think the klze can fit in to a 96-97 vehicle because of there OBII set up. Another note to tack on to what Mike may have missed, is that the ecu that corksport offers is not set to the true jspec settings. You are better off having one custom reprogramed or finding another source for the jspec ecu. I have been able to pass emissions test as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
MX-6 BOY jr said:
<*snip*>Another note to tack on to what Mike may have missed, is that the ecu that corksport offers is not set to the true jspec settings.
While I didn't mention Corksport specifically, I was alluding to them when I said "...and without a properly programmed PCME, with genuine KLZE timing and VRIS calibrations.." I have also addressed these issues in a previous thread, especially on the 2nd page of that thread in my last entry.

You are better off having one custom reprogramed or finding another source for the jspec ecu. I have been able to pass emissions test as well.
Did you have to submit the car for an I/M (i.e. inspection) and if so, how carefully did they look for the EGR? Do you have the emissions numbers for your ZE, including the all important NOx numbers?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top