Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i was wondering if anyone has any dyno results from putting an aftermarket chip in their mtx LS? If anyone has any info please let me know, I might just buy a chip instead of port and polishing the engine.

thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mike has dyno runs on his super chip showing gains of 2-3 hp at the wheel. SCC has also tested the jet (?) chip on there project probe gt, and got a loss of 10 hp. Keep your money and buy some headers (pace setter) and make your own cold air intake(e mail me for directions or check my message UPDATE ON MY CAI!! on this page for directions.)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Actually, I don't have the Superchip. I programmed the changes to my PROM myself. The "Superchips" page on my web site relates to Mike Conroy, a guy who actually went to Superchips' factory in Florida way back in 1997 or 1998 (can't recall now) and had them do before & after dyno pulls on his 1995 PGT. The "dyno" plot supplied to me from Superchips looks fake (frankly) and the dyno results Mike saw were a far cry from the 21HP they claimed.

In general, I agree: unless you have custom programming requests in mind (e.g. making engine management changes not generally covered by aftermarket PROM solutions like customizations involving reducing EGR, VRIS changes, map-wide timing changes and even esoteric stuff like reducing the tip-in spark timing reduction and the like...), spending money on items to improve airflow into and out of the engine will be money better spent.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

I definately am willing to purchase some headers and even do your TB conversion. The big question now is aftermarket headers do they crack? Also is there a place where I can purchase already a bored out TB?

thanks a lot,

Anthony

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
integrale4wd said:
Mike,

I definately am willing to purchase some headers and even do your TB conversion. The big question now is aftermarket headers do they crack? Also is there a place where I can purchase already a bored out TB?

thanks a lot,

Anthony
Headers from Hotshot & Bosal are largely above reproach from a quality perspective. I've not really heard any bad things about them in terms of leaks or cracks. MSDS headers (which appear to be Hotshots with coating) are also good. A bit lower on the quality (and price) scale is Pacesetter. If armor-coated, their corrosion resistance is much improved over their black-paint models (which get rusty and look bad after a week) but I've heard nothing good about the ball-joint they replace the flex-pipe with and some say the weld-quality is questionable. You can't beat the price though.

HS & Bosal preserve the tuned-length of the stock system which preserves the smooth exhaust note the OEM system has. Pacesetter goes with long, unequal-length (between front and rear banks) primaries which may help torque production but which makes the exhaust note more reminiscent of a GM V6. Some like it one way, some the other.

Many people have trouble with the EGR fitting on the rear bank. In some cases, poorly fitted pipes have caused under-hood fires because the hot EGR pipe burns through the nearby power steering hose, spraying the hot header with hydraulic fluid. This has as much to do with installation as it does design. In other cases, the fittings on the headers don't match the pipe fittings etc. I think HS has this worked out by now and I'm not certain it ever was a problem for Bosal.

I'm not sure if RC Engineering is still doing TBs but you can try them. Any good local engine machine shop should be able to bore your stock one (or one you buy from a wrecking yard) and make up a new throttle plate.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Hey Mike...

Do my PROM... can you do that for me? i also need injectors, FPR, Fuel pump, and a few other things before finalizing this engine thing... you know where to get a good price on these things. ive been quoted $135 a piece for injectors and $250 for a 225 lph fuel pump....Grrrrr.....

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
So J-spec, are you going with forced induction or NOS?
Mici
Just curious... :freak:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
well if someone made a s/c for the 4-cyl i would definately start saving up... but it looks like its NOS for me...

ill start at a 50 shot, move up to 100 and eventually to 150. i can tthrow a turbo on b/c im running 11:1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts