Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I got the car tuned today and great news, it didnt blow up or nearly blow up like last time .

Made 123kwatw at 6psi as silly me didnt set the boost controller to 8 before I got on the dyno. The tuner said that my turbo was way too small as well so start saving for a new one . Thinking go Gt30 (his advice) or maybe a Turbonetics unit as they are quite alot cheaper then the Garetts and look pretty decent. Also one sucky thing is that my rear exhaust mani gasket blew while on the dyno, and there is smoke everywhere in the engine bay and it really gets into the cabin while im driving as well (alot). Wont be able to get that fixed till next next weekend but oh well, lets just hope it doesnt kill me .

Overall I'm disappointed with the numbers I suppose because it is less then I expected but really I don't care. The car frieken fly's now and drives so much smoother and we will see how much fuel economy I got back . Sux that I have to do a long road trip tomorrow to Terrigal with exhaust gases in the cabin though.

Im scanning the graph now, no torque numbers or RPM weirdly enough...

Oh and one more sooky thing. My starter motor died (Fuck you Rod you were right :p) on the way out of the dyno place, just around the corner. Im trying to start it for ages, doesnt work. Go to the wreckers and get one for $60, drive home (with the mx6) and turn car off. Turn car on and the starter motor works!!!. Wtf huh, Ill keep it in the car as a spare just in case.:shrug:

Also out of my crankcrase breather (the big pipe from the front valve cover that goes into the airbox) is vented as always, except now it pisses out smoke. Only from today after my rear exhaust mani gasket blew.

·
Registered
545 Posts
take it thats fwkws lol.
so 166 horses not bad!

I'm sure you can push more out of it?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well that was only 6psi and I run it at 8. And the ass dyno difference between 6-8psi is like whoaaaaa! as other ze-t owners will testify :).

Like always dyno numbers mean nothing. Getting out to the track on October 8th and my trap speed will give me a much fairer indicator of power. Im just very happy it is tuned now and it pulls real nice.

EDIT - The car fills the street with smoke, I think that exhaust manifold leak got real real bad. It drives like shit now and sounds like a WRX. When I mean fills the street with smoke, I mean you seriously cant see down the street. Worse then when the car was on open downpipe and no exhaust. I think I might have done the rings in, might explain the low power numbers as well..

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
maybe it's just me, but 168 whp on a ZE-T? On an engine with 200 crank in a FWD, whp should be around 160-170. A little less on older cars, but even so we're talking about a 15 hp gain from a turbo? Not to mention any other bolt-ons you have. Even with a turbo not running perfectly those numbers seem very low.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Those numbers can't be right. its not even 168whp...actually like 164.9 i think i would cry if i get number like that with the amount of life and money i put into my 6.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Its 167.7 HP converted so close enough to 168, either way anything under 200 is not acceptable on a turbo car. :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
....my math is not wrong. Kw to HP to kVa Calculator

i'm just being a bitch though. Agreed anything under 200 is parrot shit!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you fellas read above :). I might of done the rings or the headgasket. Fills the street with smoke, well it would if the starter motor didnt blow. Im going on holiday for a few days this morning, I will worry about it when I get back. I am thinking that the engine was on its last legs, and the dyno just killed it. Or if the compression test turns out ok, the turbo has shat itself (ebay turbo). Either way, it explains the low power numbers. As soon as I got the car back for about 15 minutes it felt great, then I gave it a few hits and thought , hmmm I cant break the tyres loose in 2nd anymore...? Then one more hit and boom smoke inside the cabin and fills the entire motorway up, someone jumped out of their work ute because they thought my car was on fire :D. From the amount of smoke, it looks like a headgasket, but the oil and the water are fine.

I still think I went pretty good (even if the engine is blown). 1 year on boost, 15000 kms, 2-3 years on this KLZE, thrashing the tits off it. Probably time for a rebuild soon anyway :D

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
King that is because the engine is dead now :). It was probably dieing on the dyno. Also dont forget there is a massive difference between Aussie Dynodynamics dynos and mustang/dynojet dynos from the states. But yer, dead engine anyway, I need a rebuild :)

·
No one told me about this
1,426 Posts
still a dead ze with turbo only making ze power is kinda weird, even with the difference in aussie/usa dyno numbers. Im no turbo guru but i gota scratch my head on this one

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yer just throwing the US Aussie thing out there for next time I get on the dyno :).

I would rather make 170whp then the 0whp I am making now. I know that as soon as I got it back from the dyno the car was a bit fucked. It had no power. I couldnt break the tyres loose in 2nd gear at like 5000rpm like I could on the basemap. I didnt think anything of it though as I was just happy to see that the car used hardly any fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts