Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Dudes, okay..so this happened a while back...i put the ebrake down and one of the wheels remains totally Locked in place. To fix it...i have to push the brake back manually. (which is a pain in the ass when it's cold out and you have to kneel down in the snow to do it!)
now, about 3 days ago, the OTHER tire got locked. I had to manually push the brake back in place. How can i fix this problem? I was going to use some White Lithium to lube it, however, I have no idea where to put it! Do i need new capillier springs??? Any info is good info. Thanks dudes!

Little Bastard,

G

·
I noticed that my parking brake stuck after i washed my car and then it would continue to stick so I just pull it up
2-3 clicks and then it won't stick but remember to leave it in gear.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah, run a search for Seized calipers or rear calipers...

One of the "bugs" on the 93-95 MX6's. You pretty much have to replace the caliper all together because it will happen again. I don't know specifically WHY it happens but I knwo it does. I'll leave it up to the gurus like Mike94PGT to explain it...

Just replace the one that's sticking.. both will stick in time....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take off the rear wheel. Have someone move the brake lever up and down from the inside while you spray the pivoting ebrake arm on the brake caliper. I think I first used brake cleaner, then silicone spray, than motorcycle chain lube.

Don't go too crazy with the brake cleaner. Use it mostly to clean the area around the ebrake arm.
Silicone spray and chain lube is where you go crazy. Try to squeze as much as possible inside the pivoting point.

Silicone spray is realy light and loosens things up.

The chain lube is realy gunky oily long-life stuff that protects everything from water and corossion.

My calipers got stuck more than a year ago, and after doing this I never had a problem again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God I love this Site,

Totally appreciate all the comments and suggestions! I called the Mazda Dealership and they said they had an old Memo saying to replace them. Wasn't a recall but, the manufacturer would pay for the repair. They Contacted the Mazda retailer, and they said that back in '93 it would have only costed about $40.00 to replace both, NOW it would cost $190.00! However, they are picking up the Tab! SO i would encourage anyone with the same problem to get theirs replaced! ( it won't cost you anything!!! ) Thanks again guys! Really Love this Web-Site!

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
257 Posts
HEY WHAT GIVES WIT THE TEASIN???

JUS KIDDIN. I CALLED 2 MAZDA DEALERS HERE IN NY AND THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT A RECALL OR ANY SORT OF FREE REPLACEMENT ON THE REAR CALIPERS. GOT ANY DETAILS? MINES A 94 DOES IT MAKE A DIFF? I WANT EM REPLACED OR AT LEAST REBUILT AND I'D RATHER NOT PAY FOR IT.
THANX
L8R
BLUMX6

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odd,

Ummmmm.......that's Odd. Mine is a '93 however, If i can recall correctly, the 93-94's or 95's can all be REPLACED only. Not Rebuilt, just replaced. Mine was done with Factory parts however, they would have been some kind of newer version??? I don't know, they look the same however, there is not a spring in the back of them anymore. Just a lever! I had no hassel talking to the dealership, I simply asked them too look into it for me. I didn't even have to pay the 2 hour labour fee! ( they charge $67.50 per hour )
I don't know what to tell you buddy, try writting on the Mazda website or something? The guy I talked to here in Winnipeg at Jim Gautier Mazda had no problem! Try again i guess? Do they know they have to "research" it?? Anyway, if you have anymore probs, let me know and i'll try and find out how he knew about this! Later,

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went to my local stealership myself about a year ago and asked about the calliper recall. The guy looked at me kinda funny and said there is no recall and I would have to pay for them to get replaced.

They are not that friendly here in Jersey.

Next time I'll go there I'll tell him that I spoke to someone from mazda and they told me that I can get the replaced for free. Want to see what they say then :p

My callipers don't stick anymore after lubing them up but I would like to get them replaced anyway. My friend didn't notice that his calippers locked up and ruined his rotors. Don't want that to happen to me since I have a set of Stillen's sitting in my garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts