Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ebrake is stuck on, not 100%, but still stuck enough to feel. How do I release it I GOTTA GO TO WORK IN AN HOUR!!!!
thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
dude, maybe you're better off leaving it for tomorrow! earlier year 2nd gen cars came with rear calipers that get the e brake cable stuck after a long while. have you ever changed them? one of mine went and ate through the pads and rotor.had to replace it all.
Others around have gotten under the car, loosened the cable and greased it up a bunch to get by. I think I read something about that here if you do a search or search for julian bradbury's probe/mx6 faq site and he's got a full explanation. good luck.
hr

p.s. found the link....
http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help....I am doing pads and rotors anyway within a week or 2...perhaps sooner now. I just hope I can get it unstuck. Damn.
thanks again

·
Registered
193 Posts
no problem man, read through the site, it's awesome. good luck and let us know how it went.
hr

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey i forgot, if you decide to get a new caliper i got one from autospecialty (remanufactured i think). if you get the loaded caliper it comes with metal master pads on it.
hr

·
Registered
123 Posts
canadian-as-hell said:
thanks for the help....I am doing pads and rotors anyway within a week or 2...perhaps sooner now. I just hope I can get it unstuck. Damn.
thanks again
If your replacing you pads and rotors make absoultely sure your replace you rear calipers first and not just free them up or you'll cause yourself a lot of grief when the old ones stick again and chew up your new pads and rotors. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, calipers will be changed as well...I have an abs light comin on in the dash, and a mechanic told me i need to change front calipers anyway (don't know if i belive him, but i'll find out). Looks like my brake job is getting a little bigger......oh well, first car i've owned that i enjoy spending money on cause it keeps getting better. Anyone out there know what I should be spending on calipers in Canada???

·
Registered
193 Posts
not sure how much in canadian but try this link. I ended up getting it locally and saving the shipping for the same price, in NJ.
hr
http://www.carparts.com/parts/sampl...icleid=56060&catalogid=60034&partnum=NONE&dc=

as for abs light...I had same thing when some tranny mechanic screwed up my left forward sensor. if you know someone that can pull the ABS error code, and that's it, the sensor is very easy to change. If that's it,find me,I'll share details.
hr

·
Registered
123 Posts
canadian-as-hell said:
Anyone out there know what I should be spending on calipers in Canada???
Yep.. $325CDN each for the rear from mazda I replaced mine about 6 months ago.. Aftermarket replacement are a lot cheaper though about half the cost.

G'luck

·
Registered
459 Posts
You might not have to replace them. My parking brake stuck on, I floored it in reverse and slammed the brakes and it popped off. You can also get under the car and pry the spring arm back (the piece the cable attaches to). They usually stick because the spring and the arm become seased. If you have the calipers off get some penetrating grease and soak the parking brake arm, you'll have to work it back and forth and up and down a little but you should be able to get it moving freely again. I've had to do this with mine. Might be a cheaper alternative till the cash flow's a little better. I end up keeping a screw driver in the trunk just in case that brake gets stuck again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the bastard released!!

Thanks for everyones help...Got it unstuck today, with help from a combination of here, julian's site,my haynes manual, and most importantly, the hammer. No e-brake for me till my parts come in next week, but at least I can drive. I just can't wait for the Brembo's!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey, nice to here a success story, thanks for the update. don't park on any inclines... okay? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts