Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I haven't really come across a good thread about installing the E-Spec Headlights. I'm hoping this can be that. If you happen to question anything, I'll try and get an answer for you, obviously.

Now, if you bought them, you may have realized they don't bolt right up, and there is some metal in the way. Convenient huh? You may have also got lucky and received a good amount of wiring and such already attached to your E-Spec Headlights, and thought 'Goodie, perhaps I won't have to wire them up!'. Boy are you wrong. It's not much wiring, but it has to be done.

As a side note, the E-Spec foglights don't bolt right up either, but I'm waiting to buy an E-Spec front bumper before installing them. I believe they should be simple to install, however.

Now, onto the business!

:jump:

You may have gotten your old headlight off, wiggled it around a bit, trying your best to make it fit, but you didn't get anywhere I bet. Something like this, perhaps.

And then finally given in to this radiator support right here.

Good job, you may have already followed the first bit of this before even reading it! :tup:

Alright. Now there is where you have to cut away some of the radiator support. You may wish to find a way to reinforce it a bit, or something, or you can just cut some away and leave it at that. There's a chance of weakening the frame here, I haven't personally found any word on frames bending due to this, but there's always a chance, this is a car after all.

Okay! So I don't have any pics of it being cut away, but here's the finished product!

Alright! Now it fits! By holy drumsticks, it's in there!
Now it needs to get held in by something. You'll have to fabricate a mount now to hold it in. A simple mount will do, as it's only holding it in. You adjust the beams directly on the lights themselves, in case you were wondering about that.

And mounting time!

It can mount up in the side where the corners are pretty good.

Here's for the inside sides of the lights though.

Mkay, now your lights are bolted up! I hope you don't need to do any night driving before you do the wiring however, cause you'll find that fun.

Wiring time. Now, I didn't do this myself, I've never done wiring or anything my entire life, believe it or not, so I didn't want to try it out the first time on these lights. These were soldered and heat shrinking wrapper was used around the wires for some protection, and yatta yatta, blah blah.

Now, this info is courtesy of a post I found from Stealth, so thank him for this little tidbit.
Stealth said:
as far as the wiring, you can probablly wire straight off the stock harness.

The red/black is low beam, black/yellow is ground and red/white is high beams.

So run a poitive wire from the stock wires to the bulbs and bring both grounds back the black/yellow
Alright. Now, in case you find yourself needing new bulbs for any reason...

Russellg said:
Espec H1 for main and high beam, 501 for the low beam.
Obviously, Russellg did that research. I was lucky to not need to replace any bulbs yet, and even then, he had already found this information, so again, thank him, not me.

Now, you may want your city light hooked up. I personally didn't bother, yet at least. I just wanted functioning E-Specs, perhaps I'll wire them up some day, but as of now, they aren't.

Stealth said:
The city light is just a 194. Simple power and ground. Id wire that up to a switch if you cant get the whole espec harness, ect.
Alright, now hopefully your E-Specs are installed and working! Perhaps, they look like this!

And, if you were wondering, here's the fitment on the E-Spec foglights on an A-Spec Bumper.

Excuse the dirty 6. I haven't washed it in a while with all the construction in town making it useless, and I haven't quite decided on which color to have it repainted. That's obviously beside the point.

If you have any questions, I will get back to you with the answer asap. This is my first write-up, so I hope it was helpful.

Thanx to windy_mx6 for the lights, as well as Stealth and Russellg for the wiring help. The fabrication is pretty much just basic fabrication, as you can see.

Reactions: BShark

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
Just so you know, the E-Spec/J-Spec bumper does not allow for a bumper support, not something I recommend for a daily driven car. E-Specs look good though!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thank you. Yeah, it's a daily for now, but eventually it won't be. Eventually, lol...

And thanx, I've yet to have both the heads and fogs on the car at the same time though, but I'm hoping they only look nicer from there. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
good write-up. seem to see more ppl fitting e-specs nowadays

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We can mod the A-Spec fog to have that yellow like the J-Spec/E-Spec :)

Everything looks good tho :tup:
Ah, when I bought my 6, the heads were practically yellow themselves, and it for some reason didn't even have the fogs. I got these heads and fogs for $250 all together at my door, so I figure I might as well use them at some point, or something. Too good of a deal to really pass on anyway. Plus I like the faceplate. :p

And thanx once more. =)

I read someone's assumption on here that the E-Spec trend is just to be a bit different than the standard J-Spec. I dunno, I've just liked the E-Specs more personally.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Ah, when I bought my 6, the heads were practically yellow themselves, and it for some reason didn't even have the fogs. I got these heads and fogs for $250 all together at my door, so I figure I might as well use them at some point, or something. Too good of a deal to really pass on anyway. Plus I like the faceplate. :p

And thanx once more. =)

I read someone's assumption on here that the E-Spec trend is just to be a bit different than the standard J-Spec. I dunno, I've just liked the E-Specs more personally.
Yea I like E-Spec fogs too, at one point I wanted to get a set but didn't because of the fitment issue. But if anyone want the fogs with yellow tint inside just like the E-Spec/J-Spec, there's a mod you can do to achieve that ;)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
i already have that. and i love it

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
im dissapointed in the fog light fitment :( but thanks for sharing on that note

BUT DAMN I LOVE THEM E-SPECS!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
yea i love those fogs, well the main reason is the stainless steel boarder on em. which i bet king6 could prob moc up. hint hint. . . . . haha

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
yea i love those fogs, well the main reason is the stainless steel boarder on em. which i bet king6 could prob moc up. hint hint. . . . . haha
I doubt it, those needs to be stamp, can't be hand made.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cn u post up a pic with the lights on?
Sure.

Hope those are what you're looking for.

And jeez, I can't wait to have the money to get it painted, haha..

·
Registered
249 Posts
looks good ..but when you have the car painted ..have the holes for the fogs molded to it . so their is not so much of a gap .

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks good ..but when you have the car painted ..have the holes for the fogs molded to it . so their is not so much of a gap .
I'm personally hoping to get what Lambera's making, the fog light inserts, and have those molded in, and install the E-Spec fogs there.

We'll see what happens, of course.

In the mean time, I love these lights. Their range is sheer amazing, I can light up things several times farther with these on low than the A-Specs could on bright!

Reactions: Mazda SpeedFeen

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good job mate, you've got them looking spot on. Hope you can get the fogs in soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts