Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took on a 1970ish Corvette ragtop today and I was very impressed that I kept up with him. Although I am not sure of the exact year, the Vette I took on was a body style from the early 70s which still had the chrome bumper in the front.

The way it want down was that I was first at the traffic light and he was second behind the car next to me in the middle lane. I really was not thinking race because he was trapped, so I came away from the light normal. As soon as he had an opening to the third lane, he hit the gas. So it basically was a race from 20-25 and up. Because he hit the gas first and I was taking off normal he got a jump of about 1-2 car lengths. I was just going into second at the time and it took just a moment for the turbo in my car to spool up.

From that point, all through 2nd, 3rd and 4th, up to about 100 we stayed the same distants apart. In fact at my shift to 4th I was starting to shorten the distance. But them we both laid off for upcome traffic.

I had not idea what motor he had but I know this generation of Corvettes were still untainted by the smog restrictions that started to hit around 1973-1974. Those generations did not have the chrome bumper.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I believe it.. the older Vettes arent as quick as the new ones by far!!! No BS flag here...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah...but...a Vette is a Vette! Man, it could run a 1/4 mile in like 30 Seconds...and I'd STILL want one! Ohh....so Sweet!
Thanks for the info! I always wondered how other cars run against Vettes! Good Job!

G

·
0 Posts
What are you talking about the older vettes aren't as fast as the new ones. Look at the L88's, ZL1's, LT-1's, and any 454 of the time. These were stock 10sec (ZL-1 w/ slicks) to 13 sec. The slowest vette's of the early 70's were the California 350 V8's. The slowest vettes of all time were the late 70's & early 80's California 305 V8's. California has always liked to push the envelope on fuel economy and emmisions in the US. So Fortunately the slow vette's were generally only in California.

·
Registered
734 Posts
once the older ones were moving their acceleration wasn't as fast... from the line they were pretty quick...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure of the engine in the Vette that I raced basically because the driver just ignored me after that. When we got up to the next light we were both turning right and I was in front of him. I gave him the thumbs up and he just looked the other way. At the next light he drove up next to me in the left hand turning lane and he looked the other way again. Oh well.

So with not knowing what I was up against I went to the internet. The year of the car was any one of the 1969-1972, based on the fact that it still had the chrome bumper in the front and back as opposted the the rubber bumper on the mid and late 70s Vettes.

This is what I found:

CGT: 350ci, 270hp AT
CPH: 454ci, 365hp MT
CGY: 350ci, 330hp (ZR1) MT
CPJ: 454ci, 365hp AT
CGZ: 350ci, 330hp (LT1) MT
CPW: 454ci, 365hp MT AH
CJK: 350ci, 270hp AT
CPX: 454ci, 425hp AT AH
CJL: 350ci, 270hp MT

These numbers were for the 1971. The 1969 and 1970 were much higher in HP (so I highly doubt it was a 69 or 70) and the 1972 we just silghtly lower than the 1971.

There for it must have been a 71 or 72. Even with the 350, I am still impressed that I hung with him.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't know about them being slower. The 67 Stingray had a 427 with 435 horsepower and a about 450 foot pounds of torque. So I think that they had some advantage over the newer ones.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Cool story. It is funny how some people can't handle the truth very well (the guy in the Vette).

There are a lot of reasons you may have beaten him. Mainly focusing on the driver and/or condition of the car.

Check out http://web.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html#Chevrolet

There is a 1968 Corvette that went from 0-60 in 7.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in about 15.6 seconds, which just about matches our little 6s.

G

·
0 Posts
dont forget that those cars only had a 3 spd tranny guys...makes a big difference

G

·
0 Posts
Some did have 4 speed manuals also. Neither transmission really hurt the performance of the older muscle cars. They had enough torque and horsepower to overcome the lack of gears. Now this is assuming the car is stock.
I know of plenty of older cars where people swap in modern fuel injected motors (like LT1's orL LS1's) and 5 or 6 speed manual trannies or 4 speed auto trannies. The vette that started this whole thread had 30 years to be modified or remain stock. Unless you really know what was under the hood, you don't know if the driver was playing around or seriously racing. This is not a put down on your mx6 or driving ability. I'm just saying there are too many variables on the vette alone.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yeah, most of the time, more gears do not equal better performance, as far as acceleration. More gears can, in fact, slow you down.

Also, some of the serious, serious racers, prefer the 2 speed powerglide auto tranny--it only shifts one time.

The 6 speed in the Corvette for example, is almost just a gimmick. You see, the Corvette motor has a pretty flat torque/hp curve, meaning you have most of the motor's power throughout the RPM range. however, a Toyota Celica probably benefits nicely from having a 6speed, since most of it's power is probably in a 1500rpm spread. Make sense?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
geok,

I agree with you completely. I have not idea what engine the Vette in the race had or what mods if any. I dont even know if the guy was going all out. I do know that it was a automatic by the sound. I would guess no mods because the car was actually very quiet as compared to what I expected. The sound from the car was more like a really loud suction.

I can only guess that he was going all out because of the way he took off once there was an opening in the lane next to him.

G

·
0 Posts
Jiffy-
You are right about the power glide. A friend has a 69 camaro race car and it has a race prepped power glide 2 speed. It runs 9.40's at the track (509 big block chevy runs on race gas only and puts out approx 800hp).

Rbodeman-
My best guess is that if it didn't have a hood with a bulge or scoop (needed for clearance) and/or side pipes, then it was a small block chevy. Probably a 350. But a 350 can have anywhere from 180hp to 300hp and still sound quiet through a full exhaust. If it had more then 300 hp, you would hear the cam (slightly choppy idle) through the exhaust. But none the less a 2.2 4 cyl playing well against a 5.7 V8 is nothing to sneeze at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts