Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into drumming after a few years hiatus (i have an electric pressure pad set that i use just to keep in practice, but its nothing like using a real set)

anyways - my hearing in my right ear is already damaged a bit (i've lost about 15% high range, and 7 % mid range) and i'm past the point of being a teenage hero and not using plugs.

however, clarity is still important to me - are there any accoustically transparent (or nearly so) plugs out there, that will cut volume and spl, but not significantly muddle the sound?

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
i'll ask my brother. He also plays drums and other intruments (goes to college for it actually). He has a nifty little box full of them:tup:

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Absolutely, they are called Musician's earplugs. They typically cost between $150-300 per pair, but they are custom molded to your ear, and lower the DB's of ALL the frequency ranges equally, so its just like turning down the volume level.
I never asked a person/audiology technician that does the mold making for these ear plugs, but apparently you can get them in different DB attenuation levels too, up to about 30 db's (which is very common, and quite a bit or attenuation)

I have a bad habit of losing shit, so I never invested in a pair, but if you can keep track of them, then it should be a wise investment.
I just use the disposable ones, and I learned to live with the muffling of certain frequencies.
:shrug:
EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've found there are the semi-disposable ones (the musician earplug type) offered on various websites, they are much more expensive then disposable ones, but not a bank-breaker if you lose a pair or two.
My old drummer had a few sets, I think they were around $15/a pair, but don't quote me on that.
Just google " Musician earplug " and you'll find a whack load of websites.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow graham - awesome.

google had a plethora of info.. i should have checked there first :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts