Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the posts on how to degrease engines the other day, and picked up a can at wal mart for $1. Pretty good deal with enogh for the whole engine. I read the posts and got to work. Main thing was to cover the distributor/plugs/battery/fuses or and electrical or sensors before sprating everything down. I had to clean the valve cover, so I removed the plugs and scrubed around them. Wipped off the excess. I also sprayed doen the hoses and whatnot.

I waited about 6 hours and started up my car. The engine had a horrible idle. It would have a terrible vibation in the motor that would shake the whole car. While driving it seemed like the cutch would give at everything under 3000 rpm and would stutter. This was like the same if you released the clutch really fast under normal conditions. It seemed like only 2 cylinders were working and i had trouble going up ramps.

Well, anyway, I made this thread to help everyone with the same problem which comes up quite often. I had a hell of a time figuring it out and scared the sh[shizzle]it out of me. There were several helpful threads, but took hours of searching, so here it is, all nice and sweet.

*Make sure that you cover all electrical parts and be sure to wait until the car dries until start up.
*Any water in the distributor or plug wells will mess it up and case misfires
*Watch out for O2 sensors
*Check your fuses

Most commonly the water in the plugs will occur. I had a check engine light that constantly flashed. I was pretty careful around the rubber stoppers, but a few drops got tht messed it up. When the engine is cool, remove the rubber covers by pulling from the top (not plug). Inspect each well. When you find water, dont remove the plug. This will restrict water from getting into the engine. Use a hairdryer and it will evap in a few minutes. Use a shop vac to blow [shizzle] out or use a q tip. Try starting the engine and take a drive. If the problem presists, inspect the plug wires from the distributor to the plugs themselves. If its all good, then replace the plugs. That was it for me and it ran just like the day before.

Some helpful threads:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20622
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136847&highlight=spark+plug+water

Add whatever experiences you had
Keywords: spark plug distributor stuttering code degreaser clean engine wells idle rough help problem

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yea I had the same problem when I degreased my car this summer. I used a product named GUNK Engine Degreaser. I went to the car wash 1/2 KM away from me and let it cool back down so I wont crack the block or the manifolds covered all the stuff, sprayed the whole bottle on the engine and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. I power washed the GUNK off and with the engine cold and then started it up. It ran fine the year before I did it like that but this year while driving the CEL came on.:urg: I traced it down to code 15 & 17 to I had to replace my o2 - But Hey, It was the original o2 and the engine looked so clean afterwards that I figured what the hell - It was worth it. But for the summer of 2006 I will be paying more attention to covering my o2 sensors a lot more.:wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.