Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 90 PGT tranny will fit in an 88 MX6 right? Is there any small differences or does everything bolt up?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I have an '89 PGT tranny in my car that was originally in an '89 mx6. lol, it has been around.

Supposedly PGT's have a slightly different final drive ratio. Nothing you would notice though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is that an 88 GT or just a regular 6? If it's a regular 6, then you can't forget the drive shafts, the clutch assembly (includung the flywheel, and the axle hubs from the GT. Otherwise, it's a complete bolt up with only the tranny. And for future reference, the tranny's between the PGT and the MX/ 626 GT are the same. No difference in gearing or anything else... They're the same.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, one vote for different 5th gear, one vote for taller gearing, one vote for lower final drive ratio and one vote for no differences at all. :confused: :shrug:

G

·
Darion said:
Is that an 88 GT or just a regular 6? If it's a regular 6, then you can't forget the drive shafts, the clutch assembly (includung the flywheel, and the axle hubs from the GT. Otherwise, it's a complete bolt up with only the tranny. And for future reference, the tranny's between the PGT and the MX/ 626 GT are the same. No difference in gearing or anything else... They're the same.

Darion, Every service manual I have seen lists the PGT having a slightly different final drive than the MX-6. The only reasion I can think of why they would do this is because the PGT came with 16 inch wheels stock, while the MX-6 came with 15 inchers.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
splitting difference, splitting hairs.

bobgt said:
THE 6 FINAL GEARING 4.11
PGT FINAL 4.10
My (MX-6) manual says 4.105 if we're splitting hairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts