Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
94 LS mx 6 v6
Nubbie, not trying to scare you off or anything, but really, no extra details?

Like Automatic, or Manual? Why do you want to flash the ecu? Do you have upgrades that are worthy of looking into this.

Board etiquette is to post with details, clean English and the lack of extra characters: eg: ???????????????????????????????????????

Anyways, that aside. Awesome you have a V6, lots you can do with that car. But take a step back and post why you want to do this before you get flamed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You're very correct about the nubbie deal.

And sorry about the details and extra characters.

Why do I want to?

Cheapest way to get better Horsepower or MPG.

And the engine is bone stock manual trany.

I'm interested in a part rebuild of the car because it's seen better days.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Cheapest way to get better horsepower is to install a nitrous kit.

Cheapest way to get better MPG is to drive it like the gas pedal has a raw egg on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheapest way to get better horsepower is to install a nitrous kit.

Cheapest way to get better MPG is to drive it like the gas pedal has a raw egg on it.
Mazda-OBD2 adapter = around $40

Software = free from Uncle

Figure it out my self = free

A ton of tutorials on YouTube = free

Nitrous kit = $500+ and extreme wear on the engine

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Mazda-OBD2 adapter = around $40

Software = free from Uncle

Figure it out my self = free

A ton of tutorials on YouTube = free

Nitrous kit = $500+ and extreme wear on the engine

I can get nitrous wet kits all day for $200-$250, and when done properly, can be used reliably for a long time.

On the flip side, nobody has ever, and i mean EVER successfully flashed one of these ECUs in the manner that you're speaking of. 2 decades later, it's unlikely that you'll be the one to do so.

There's chipped ECUs available that would probably be far easier. But those are chipped. Not the original ROM modified.

Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble or be a jerk. :) There's just much better ways to spend your money/time on your first car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Boost that sucker! You're not going to get much horse power going cheap. Not enough to "feel" the difference.

If you're open to spending 2500+ on a turbo set-up with supporting mods, you'll notice a definite increase in HP. There is also (mentioned above) nitrous. As well as water/methanol injection. But would be kind of pointless unless you had a forced induction system.

Small and cheap HP increases would be a Cold Air Intake system, performance headers, performance intake manifolds, bigger throttle body, performance camshafts, Light weight flywheel (increases wheel HP by a small amount).

The cheapest and best increase in "speed" without much work is to lighten the car up. Take our jacks, spare tires, subs, replace seats with light weight seats, carbon fiber hoods (not so cheap), etc...

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
Small and cheap HP increases would be a Cold Air Intake system, performance headers, performance intake manifolds, bigger throttle body, performance camshafts, Light weight flywheel (increases wheel HP by a small amount).
- I have done all of the above, other than cams, and lifters. For the record, a lightened flywheel increases HP a whole poop load more at 1,2 & 3rd gear, 4 + 5 do have gain, but nothing to write home about. CAI, Headers, IM, TB, Flywheel are not power adders, they are efficient adders.

- Your car, when new off the factory line, could do 165WHP @ the crank. With no mods and the car being as old as it is, it is probably puttin g down ~130WHP @ the wheel.

- My car has been stupid pampered and has, short of the cams, the mods listed above. And my last Dyno puts me at 174WHP, that means at the crank I am putting out ~200WHP.

Until you put the time into doing the above, you are light years away from ECU tuning. Look at Megasquirt to get yourself up to speed.

Read the forums, many of the old guard have done it all, three times over in most cases. They all arrive to the same conclusion. Do the common sense approaches, then move on to Turbo or SC or NOS.

BUT above all things - Do what you want, how you want to do it. This is your car and learning about it is what is going to teach you about it.

Lastly, your car isn't ODBII. It is ODBI, thus EPROM'ing is your gateway to binary hex crunching data nirvana.

·
Registered
203 Posts
- I have done all of the above, other than cams, and lifters. For the record, a lightened flywheel increases HP a whole poop load more at 1,2 & 3rd gear, 4 + 5 do have gain, but nothing to write home about. CAI, Headers, IM, TB, Flywheel are not power adders, they are efficient adders.
Very true. But efficiency = more power output.
For instance, the flywheel. The HP is there, but you don't get it all in the wheels. Whilst the flywheel doesn't increase actual hp, it increases power output. That was my point. I should be more careful with the choice of my words;)

Curious, what flywheel did you put in?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble or be a jerk. :) There's just much better ways to spend your money/time on your first car.[/QUOTE]

Any Suggestions?

Open to all.[/QUOTE]

Yep!

Start with maintenance. Then move on to handling.

Then intake/headers/exhaust, maybe a chipped ECU if you feel like it.

Evaluate from there. :)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Cheap compared to a turbo. ;)

I grabbed my Fidanza for my KL for $200. Bought a spare friction disk for $50. Good to go.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Yep!

Behind the clutch. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts