21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble or be a jerk. :) There's just much better ways to spend your money/time on your first car.
Any Suggestions?

Open to all.[/QUOTE]

Yep!

Start with maintenance. Then move on to handling.

Then intake/headers/exhaust, maybe a chipped ECU if you feel like it.

Evaluate from there. :)[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Paint, tires, oil,

then new coilovers

and then the turbo, headers, intake, exhaust,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any Suggestions?

Open to all.

Yep!

Start with maintenance. Then move on to handling.

Then intake/headers/exhaust, maybe a chipped ECU if you feel like it.

Evaluate from there. :)[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Paint, tires, oil,

then new coilovers

and then the turbo, headers, intake, exhaust,[/QUOTE]

That's the idea. But it's not like you must do it in that order. Do what YOU want, what YOU'RE capable of, and what YOU can afford. Start doing some research! When you look at your car, what do you see in it? New rims? When you ride in your car, what do you want to feel? You want more grip? Better handling? Faster? More efficient? decide what you want to do with your car, and research it.

And for the money... Just have a job and save. Your not going to be able to modify a car with your allowance ;).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

I've done a little research already.

TCP Global has one coat paint kits =around $80

E bay has cheapy Turbo kits for a grand or so

craigslist has used tires/rims.

My first car is not going to be something I'll dump a lot of money into.

Cause when I drive I drive and probably will crash or something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy an ebay turbo. You can buy a piping kit for your car off ebay, but don't get a turbo. Get a garret, turbonetics, or... take a used turbo off of a different engine.

Also take into account you can just turbo a car and be happy with it. Do you have a KLZE engine or a KLDE engine? KLDE has a lower compression ratio (9.3.1) I believe. While the KLZE is around 11.1. Which is super high and putting boost on that kind of compression can be dangerous for your engine. With the KLDE, boost is okay with stock internals (pistons, rods, etc...) for a certain about of PSI. I wouldn't boost it over 6 PSI with stock internals... That's just me. If you have good supporting mods, and a super good tune, you could probably get a lot more out of it with stock internals.

A good idea when you want a lot of boost is to lower compression. There are a few ways to do this, if your curious. Google it.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Where in the world...

does the cash come from?

Working your tail end off or

saving for a while?

I haven't worked less than 50 hours in a week in.... 7 years? Live responsibly, do the work right the first time, buy the right parts the first time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

WA when it's not raining it's building cars...

Piping kit-do you mean all-ready welded or weldable kits.

How would you find out about the KL-DE or KL-ZE deal...

I goggled it but didn't find anything if have any were I could look

that'd be decent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
By the piping, yes, I mean already welded kits that should be a direct fit over the exhaust ports. Because more than likely, you'll be cutting and welding on your turbo build unless you bought a precut piping kit. Which I can only find on ebay. Just do not get a ebay turbo.

I don't own any KL's (DE or ZE), so I wouldn't know how to tell the difference. There is a mark on the engine block though. Just look around and you should see something like "KL03" or something similar.

Lowering compression - how to lower compression in an engine - Google Search
Read up!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure! I like seeing build threads of experienced people. That's how I learn. But I'd also like to see someone new to car mechanics make a build.

I'll make a build thread soon. Probably when I get ready to take the head off to diagnose low compression.

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
Sorry about the delay...

Would you be interested in me doing a build

thread?

I've been working a lot and getting some cash

to buy parts in the future.

Start a build thread in 2G General. There is a bunch of us in there and more is always welcome. Don't know if you looked at Kipps yet, but over 30,000 views and I don't think we've ever figured out the ticking sounds :p:jump:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts