Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, (i guess i am glad to say), this is the first time the mx6 has ever crapped out on me and left me stranded!

I had the car parked inside at my aunts where i am staying for the week, i was playing with all the crap thats behind the IM, cause i was trying to get a good look at my rear MM. I pulled on the big wiring harness that is back there, and realized it was resting on the headers, and had some burnnage on it.
I also disconnected the VRIS soleniods, which for some reason were still back there hanging even though i havent had vris for about 10 months.

after that, i zip tied that harnes up with the bit metal vaccum lines so itd stay away from the headers.

I started it, just like normal. Took off, got about 1/2 a mile away, and bang. (well, no 'bang'), but the engine shut right off. no sputters or anything.

has to be fuel/ignition, search around, see that the EGI INJ fuse has been blown. i walk back to my aunts, get on here and read these:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/united-kingdom-ireland/167586-egi-inj-30a-fuse.html

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/186105-eng-inj-fuse-burning-out.html

anywho, i go back and stupidly put a 40 amp in place of the 30, just to drive it back here. I get about 1/2 way and it does it again, so i coast as far as i can. its back into the begining of the driveway now, not to the garage.

look under the dash, and smoke is coming from the fuse box. The 40 amp that i put in has not been blown, so i blew a wire/solder/something that could have been avoided.

i have not touched ANYTHING on the engine/electrical for a very long time, and it has been running strong. I would have thought that moving the wires/removing the solenoids could only have done good.

i pulled the fuse box mostly apart, and there are a few wires below that are melted.

anyone have any ideas what could have triggered it?

/i need a fuse box wiring diagram

/help

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Same thing was happening to me. I found that some wires had strayed loose and got chopped up a bit by fans. Taped them all back up, zip tied securuely away and it never happened again. Could be short. Follow the fuse box wires to all their sources, see if there is any rips along the way.
From that link you posted. Same advice :). Where the harness is melted etc, you will have to go through and put electrical tape around all the wires individually (as long it is only the plastic sheath that is melted) so that they dont touch. Some bare wire is probably just making contact then shorting. Silly idea about using the bigger amp fuse though, you will have to find out where it melted on your own, and be thankful (or hopeful maybe) that only a wire melted. It is probably just those fuse box wires, replace them then fit a better fuse (After you fix the wires where the headers melted through)

Get a light tester, try it with the car on ACC if nothing move to On, then start the thing and try with the light tester. A wiring diagram is helpful but alot of them still don't help with a fat ass harness. Just go through and see where there is no power where there should be, and fix.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm yeah i did some reasearch on pt and it seems that the rear o2 sensor shorts to the headers usually. i guess i could have bumped that wire when i was back there and maybe it just melted once the car got a little warm.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uhhh. what does megasquirt have to do with my fuse box?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hmm. i think i found it!

when i moved the old vris connectors one of them fell to the header. It aparently melted thru the harness untill the pin touched the header and grounded out.
cut them out, and tapped up the ends.
weight reduction! :p

under the fuse box 2 wires that are going to the green relay burned thru and touched eachother. hopefully just some electrical tape will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i know i get some kind of credit ;)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the ENG INJ fuse controls almost every engine electronic peice.

vris solenoids have harness' going to them. and when they gound out, they blow that fuse.

problem solved :tup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
i had the exact same problem with mine only the cause of my problem was the EGR plugs melted onto the header and blew the same fuse over and over, i had to replace my whole harness tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts