Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of the egr hole on the block side, is it typical that it's just a single hole in the top corner and not a hole covering the whole pickle shaped area?

Also, for future reference, my 97 egr tube uses a 23mm wrench on the egr end of the tube, but on the other end of the tube, it's between a 21mm and 22mm...maybe it's an sae size. I had to use an adjustable wrench to get that side open, then unbolt the egr and slide it over so that I could access the egr side of the tube from underneath the car.

Has anyone else found that the exhaust side of the egr tube takes an odd sized wrench?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Yes, that small hole is all there should be on the block as that's pretty much the same size coming out the rear head next to runner 5 which continues through the IM.

I usually cut the pipe and deal with it with a socket directly. I don't remember offhand what size it was,.. but if it was a 23mm then I probably used a 15/16" like I do for the tranny drain plug.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lambera, the ends on my egr tube are different on both ends, but yours appear to be the same...maybe a 97 is diff than other years.

Next step is to clean out the egr valve and egr passage...any recommendations guys?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Next step is to clean out the egr valve and egr passage...any recommendations guys?
What makes you think the passage needs to be cleaned out?

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned out the tb side of the passage after I got the code P0400 - the passage was totally blocked with carbon. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the passage to the egr, and had some cleaner flow out of the egr hole, and the code went away for a couple of days, but then the egr must have got stuck closed and the code reappeared. When I finally removed the egr today, it was in fact stuck closed, but I freed it and I was wondering what would be good to free up the egr for good (for the next few years anyways).

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I was wondering what would be good to free up the egr for good (for the next few years anyways).
Pull the motor apart and get it tanked to clear out the passages. ;)

Seriously though, I guess you're best clearing out all passages as best you can next time you have it apart to avoid any codes for the longest. How to go about doing that easily in the bay, I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have the egr apart, I've read of people sticking a coat hanger into the passage and using seafoam or tb cleaner to spray out the carbon. I'll try something like that too, and use tb cleaner to clean up the egr valve too I guess.

Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I was actually thinking about suggesting a coat hanger, just wasn't sure if there were any sharp passages in the IM runner before it exits at the TB.

I believe the head hole (from the IM to the EGR valve) is straight aside from an immediate 90*ish bend about 1" below the IM flange. I think you'd be able to get past that though with a coat hanger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts