Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im really wanting to get the eibachs springs but i dont have enough money right now for struts as well. i know i can wait till i have more money to get both at the same time but is it OK for the new springs to be on old struts. my car has about 120k miles on it..... Also, i have heard of bad spring and strut combos. How would the eibachs be with the tokico blues? AND, are the intraxs that much softer than eibachs? I am planning on doin some autocrossing and i want some stiff springs but i also want lower so i was thinkin intrax? hope someone can help me out a little . thanks - Rory

·
Registered
787 Posts
New Eibachs will go for about $195 shipped on ebay or here.
Tokico blues are around $375 shipped(?) and the Illuminas are about $520 shipped. (if memory serves...)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
um...thanks for posting prices but am fully aware of the prices already. someone please help my find the most suitable combo for me. i want to a daily driver, lowered, stiffer springs, better handling, good for autocross, and not expensive, like lumina expensive. thanks- rory

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This might sound a bit extreme but take it from someone who has own many cars and suspension combinations.

First off, at 120k, your struts are completely blown to hell unless they have been replaced within the last 10k miles.

Eibach Pro with blown struts feels exactly like a POGO STICK. That is not an exaggerationg, being a progressive spring, Eibach relies on struts to be in tip top shape. You will have a terrible bouncy ride with no damping whatsoever. Your handling would improve but the overall ride will be jarring and almost unbearable. The sounds coming from your suspension will also make you cringe everytime you hit a major road crack.

Now You can opt for the Gr2's, but they are not that much better than stock with slightly more aggressive valving. But even they have been known to blow regularly with hard usage. I however have not heard of one time when an Illumina has blown on Eibach Pro-Kit.

It might seem expensive to you, but think about it this way: Would you rather have one really good set of struts to last a long time and have it to be performance oriented and adjustale. Or would you rather go through 2 or 3 sets of struts in that same period that are not as good and no where near the performance level. Now if you count in the time it takes to put in and take out struts the choice should be clear. SO save money and wait to put EIbach and Illuminas on at one time together.

FYI: On this LS alone I have had 3 springs types, 1 coilover setup and 2 different type of struts. And guess what I will be going with next month after I get some more money. That right, it will be the Illuminas to go with the Eibach springs I already have. It is one of those hard learned lesson that you will wish someone had told you before you had to learn it on your own. Take it from someone that spent enough money to buy 2 sets of Illuminas to have a so so suspension setup not counting the labor it took to grind some things.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
$100.

That's one day of easy work for me. Worth the aggravation, consider what you get for that extra $100 it will make your car a truly tunable car as far as suspension goes. Add a nice swaybar and your set.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its almost closer to 200 the way i see it. 500 for the struts, 180 roughly for springs. the blue package is 415. it may be an easy day of work for you. its a week and half for me being a college student and all. i still agree with you but me...being me ...am always lookin for other options. soo.. WHY is it worth the extra mulla for them? thanks

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Adjustability.

They have 5 different for the level of compression ( or is it rebound, I forgot for the moment.)

What that means is that you can set that sucker on 1 and have a Lexus plush ride everyday, turn it up to 2-3 when you wanna do some canyon carving and push to 5 when you don't want any sort of suspension travel at all. Great for drag racing since you can make the back stiff and the front softer.

The money might seem alot but what you get in term of the ability to tune your car based on the ride you want and the aggressiveness of driving style is amazing. Though they are no where as tunable as say a $3200 Motul setup, considering that this setup will cost you below $700, last pretty much for the entire lifetime of your car and grows with you as you tune your car more and more. If you buy the Blues they will work fine, but I can guarantee you that there will be a day down the road that your gonna want to upgrade to the Illuminas and than your gonna kick yourself for not getting them in the first place.I am in that process right now.

And I'm a struggling college student too, which led me to this particular predicament. Don't try to rationalize and fall into the money trap that I am already in, save yourself.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well look at the Civic STS this way.

I paid $20 for mine and it works pretty good.

Would an RR or PRD one work better? All opinions point to yes; does it matter to me, no.

And notice how cheap I am.

Makign my own CAI and STS and other ghetto stuff. And yet I still insist that anyoe else should buy the more expensive Illuminas. That should speak volume right there. A cheap ass is telling you to spend more money!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
parisifal said:
Makign my own CAI and STS and other ghetto stuff. And yet I still insist that anyoe else should buy the more expensive Illuminas. That should speak volume right there. A cheap ass is telling you to spend more money!
It's always easier to spend someone else's money! Just kidding, but you are a person after my own tastes... I am a cheap ass too, but I am always looking for value, and the Eibach+Illumina is a heck of a value at any price. That's why I already have them! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
what about the intrax springs ? are they nothing but crap or fairly good or what..... i was lookin into gettin the intrax springs with the tokico blues

·
Registered
921 Posts
ozmojo1 said:
im really wanting to get the eibachs springs but i dont have enough money right now for struts as well. i know i can wait till i have more money to get both at the same time but is it OK for the new springs to be on old struts. my car has about 120k miles on it..... Also, i have heard of bad spring and strut combos. How would the eibachs be with the tokico blues? AND, are the intraxs that much softer than eibachs? I am planning on doin some autocrossing and i want some stiff springs but i also want lower so i was thinkin intrax? hope someone can help me out a little . thanks - Rory
eibach springs and tokico blues is a great combo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts