Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antennae was stuck and now it won't go down. The motor is still making a motoring sound so I don't think it's shot. Could anyone give me an estimate? I got $135 so far to replace the rod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My motor was shot and still made that sound.. I had to raise/lower the antenna by hand. I just reached in there and unplugged the antenna power so it wouldent make any noise and leave the antenna down for arround town driving since I can usaly pick up the radio stations when i forget my CD's
When I go on roadtrips I'll pull the antenna out so I can scan for weather and traffic reports when im in the process of swiching out CD's every hour or so. I dont listen to the raido much but I do pick up the stations i listen to with the antenna down so replacing the thing isint any priority right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electric antennae

Any idea how to tell the difference between a shot motor and the rod being broken on the inside? Did you get an estimate? I would like it fixed because my mx6 is really nice and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the useful info though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no, i just figured it was the motor.. it could be the rod. When i would turn on/off my radio id hear a hum coming from the trunk for a few seconds then it would stop... I was wanting to fix it when I first got my car but I ended up puting a CD Player in first then I didnt care about the antenna... I just pushed the antenna down and I think it looks nicer that way... It never comes up and it still works down even though i unplugged the motor.

is yours STUCK UP? Give it a little force.. not enough to snap the antenna but try turning the car off (or at least the raido) so the lifting mechinisim goes down then carefully try to push the rod down.. if you get it down then unplug the motor from inside the trunk and leave it that way until ya get $150 that you dont know what to do with...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is stuck up unfortunately. I might leave it up because I already tried to push it down but it doesn't want to go down. It worked the first two or three times but not it won't. I guess I'll just take it to the mechanic and let them fix it. I have way too many radio shows that I enjoy listening too. I guess we have more stations in Los Angeles. :)

I guess I still need to find out how to tell if it's the motor or rod. There is a big difference in cost I bet.

G

·
Hi, I have the same problem. I don't know if its the motor or the rod, but it makes a horrible buzzing noise. When I get sick of my tunes I will put up woth it so I can catch sports on the radio. I am admittedly ignorant about cars so go easy on me. I want to know, how hard is it to turn off the motor to the antenna? Its stuck in the up position and the reception is good.
I just sunk several hundred bucks into my old red mx6 (1988 with 192K miles) and can't afford to have a pro look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

G

·
In the trunk? To be honest, I haven't checked the manual (an obvious first step)/ My MX6 is getting smog checked and also getting a new catalytic converter. And so I don't have access to it or the manual. But my antenna is in the front so I think i need to look under the hood... when I get her back I'll see what'sup.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
ahh, well i have a 2nd gen MX6 and its on the back passanger side..
i dunno if that auction will have what you need tho but I do know its what I need. I remember checking the price about a year ago and it was arround $150 for a replacement.. This one from the auction promices to work so for $50 i can deal with 100 bux off.

G

·
Mine is a first generation (1988) and so the buzz is right by the drivers seat, and therefore exteremely annoying.
I don't need to have it go up and down (though it would be nice). If I can just turn off the motor I would be happy because the reception is great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hehe, i imagine... the buzz on mine was annoying as fawk from the back of the car.. thats why i dug arround and found the plug. If you can see the antenna bracket from under the hood just look for the wires that go in.. 1 should be the antenna wire that goes to the raido and the other should be a pair for the motor... If you cant see the little antenna box try removing the quaterpannel and its likely hidden between the body and the wheel well.

It should be a plug that goes into it, but if its not a plug just cut the wires and tape em off with electral tape to keep them from shorting.

Good Luck...

-Ryan

·
Registered
645 Posts
Power Antenna

I too have that problem with my '91 LE, it's stuck all the way up but the motor still works. On 1st Gen. MX-6s the power antenna motor is located behind the fuse block. All I have to do is go to the junkyard and get another one but I've been busy.

JohnathanJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts