Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have what looks one of only a few survivor cars in Australia a 1989 Ford Telstar TX5 Hatchback ( same as Mazda 626 Hatchback). Having all sorts of issues with electric windows and was wondering if anyone knows whether it is at all possible to convert back to manual window winders and if so how easy a job it is? Appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this crazy idea in a world where everything and everyone is going electric? Thx Simon

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Last summer I swapped 3 of the 1988 626 DX doors from manual to electric (rear passenger door I used was already power window).
The swap itself is a joke. The Manual or Electric door assembly attaches to the door with 3 10mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts, Two course thread bolts hold the assembly to the window, and the manual actuator has 3 screws holding it to the door.

That being said, the swap isn't the problem. The door panels are. I have never seen an LX or GT trim 626 / MX6 with manual windows -Or- I have never seen manual window 88-92 626/MX6 that didn't have the flat, ugly, ultra cheap looking DX door panels.

The upholstery does not match the lx/gt upholstery, the vinyl on the manual door skins is so hilariously cheap looking (the trunk lining is also made of this vinyl). Because of the location on the door for the window lever, same spot the window button is now you cant just drill a hole in the door skin and add a manual lever. You could make extension rod and mount the lever through the arm rest/power window button area but everyone would have to move their legs to lower and raise their windows.

Ironically enough over the years I have driven many 88-92 626/MX6's and they all had power windows, the only cars I ever owned with manual windows are the 2 Mazda 3's I have owned recently both have manual windows, my criteria was : Cheap, 2.0L, 5speed, No A/C, No ABS. Both cars are Black. What kind of idiot builds a black car without A/C with manual windows, what kind of idiot buys a black car with manual windows and no A/C?
The way I see it is the mazda 3 body, suspension, brakes, interior, motor, transmission, windshield, handling... are all junk and a better trim of junk is just more expensive junk.
I have never owned and driven a car with A/C, many F2T's came with functioning A/C and the first thing was always to delete the A/C system.

I don't need power steering, moon roof's, cruise control, power mirror. I don't want ABS, traction control, back up cameras, lane assist, stop assist, heated mirrors, heated seats, leather interior, radio controls on the steering wheel, blue tooth, wi-fi or touch screens. But I hate Manual Windows.

To anyone reading this:
Please don't tell me about how hot it is where you live and that A/C is necessary... To me it just means you need to put the windows down farther and drive faster than I do, you lucky bastards. Humanity has existed for 180 000 years give or take and because of the Soft Mother F*#$ers nowadays more than 99 percent of all new cars are air-conditioned. Stop whining about it, rub some dirt on it Marry and get back out there.
And remember boys and girls following the rules and laws is the same thing as agreeing with them and that makes you just as guilty of oppression as those that make and enforce rules and laws.

To govern is to control, to limit. Humanity should be unlimited. Sure there would be a lot less people but those remaining would be better.

Right manual windows.
Aussie TX5 the window motor assembly's can be disassembled, everything can be cleaned and greased, wires can be replaced and switches can be swapped for any polarity inverting switch or wireless window controller.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QThUOTE="Aussie TX5, post: 2657414, member: 98917"]
Hi Folks,

I have what looks one of only a few survivor cars in Australia a 1989 Ford Telstar TX5 Hatchback ( same as Mazda 626 Hatchback). Having all sorts of issues with electric windows and was wondering if anyone knows whether it is at all possible to convert back to manual window winders and if so how easy a job it is? Appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this crazy idea in a world where everything and everyone is going electric? Thx Simon
[/QUOTE]
I changed mine. All you need is a manual regulators. I bought mine on ebay. As someone else mentioned door panels are a problem, but being able to roll the windows up and down made it worth it to me..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts