Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the past 3 days my 4-wheel ABS, charge light, and rear bulb dummy lights have been illuminating when ever i turned my lights on, or stepped on the brake pedal...so basically when ever a bulb illuminated.

Today i was driving it and my tape player started stopping/starting erratically for no reason as well. I decided to turn the car around and bring it home...I turned off all the accessories in case it was the alt.

Any ideas guys? I don't feel safe driving it, I think the alternator might be acting up, not really sure, it was to cold to really investigate.

Also the tach was barely moving when i reved the engine a bit...

JACK.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Definately your alt.

As the battery drains, less things work. Such as your tape switching off. car is basically going into emergency mode to get you where you wanna be. Drive with lights on and you will stop.

Get it sorted ASAP and my advice is not to drive it until done or you will be stranded somewhere.

Cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turns out it wasn't the alt haha. it was a loose ground wire under the fuse box...i'm blaming the previous owner for this one since i've barely touched this car assides a tune up and a mean cleaning.

i ended up changing the alt out from my parts car to have the same problem happened, traced the wires to the ground. BAM...tightened it down, car started right up.

JACK.

·
Registered
578 Posts
^ Nice... sorry to lead you off track. Often we look for the difficult solutions instead of going for the easy ones.

That being said, 99% of times with those issues, it would have been the alt to blame.

Glad you got it sorted though.:tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts