Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this sound like? My lights dim when I come to a stop (interior as well as headlights.) They brighten back up immediately at the stop. Sometimes in stop and go traffic the lights flicker. This has been happening for awhile. The alternator is a few years old and is a rebuilt Bosch. The battery is from about a week before the alternator. I haven't noticed any change in the radio (volume or tape speed) when this happens and this happens on short trips or after an hour of driving. Anything I should check or do?

·
Registered
287 Posts
check the voltage on the battery when the car is off, then check it again when the car is running and see if there is a difference in readings. your battery might not be holding a charge.

Ryan

·
Registered
47 Posts
I Have the same problem but sopmeone said it might be the voltage regulator. I havn't bought one yet because its 93 bucks and that's too expensive to not be the problem. But try it and let me know -k-

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
It's your alternator (voltage regulator more specifically)... been there, done that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, and I found out last week when MY alternator went out that the voltage regulator is internal, IE: a part of the alternator. Just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
are u running a stereo system? lights will dim when u stop if you have amps running a lot of current. then when u take off again the alternator is putting out more power, thus bringing the lights back up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no - just the factory system with a speaker not working. The lights are bright at a stop - just at the end of braking they dim. They also flicker sometimes starting to go in stop and go traffic. This happens more often in cold weather - the colder it is the worse the problem is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts