1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have seen some Toyotas at the dealers fitted with these. Sounds a little dubious if you ask me but hey, we don't have salt on our roads every winter.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have one (was 'given' to me by a friend in the auto industry) - I cant remember what brand it is - but I was given a LIFETIME warrenty on the body and chassis of the car.

The reason for that is the guy who assessed it did the respray of the car as well and knew there was no rust in it.

My mum has the same model as mine - with the same warrenty, neither car have ANY rust in them.

I was dubious too - but its proven to work by the chips out of panels where numb nuts in car parks have banged my car - the metal oxidised like aluminium (dulled) but not actual iron oxidation (ferrious oxide, aka cancer/metal worm/rust!).

The only reason I was 'willing' to give it a go (even tho it was free!) was because my old man has been using them for years at Dampier Salt (as you can imagine - they are salt a mining company - in the north west of WA) I figure a mining company that, that make money by being as cheap as possible on maintainence - KNOWS what they are talking about!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Holden fits them to all the new cars. its a option thing when u purchase the car new.

meh. i would like to try it.. but meh.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
It works on boats, don't see why it won't work on cars. It's got the science behind it to back it up. Mind you, you need to make sure you get a reputable one, as everything has it's dodgy version.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've heard good things about them - gf's uncle uses them.

The physics of them makes sense. By the same reasoning though a sacrificial anode should similarly and be a lot cheaper - same as they use on boat engines.

·
Registered
250 Posts
drain your battery pretty bad, got one on my dad's VX commo, dont thin kit can make it a week without going flat. cant really say much about it not rusting it's only a few years old and is always garaged.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it may sound good but however mixing moisture/water with electical current turns into acid, so your car may not rust but deteriorate in time.
Elements of nature, cant stop the aging process

thats my view

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm that's interesting. So it sounds like there is some reputable science behind it although it puts a fair drain on the battery. It would be nice to hear from someone who has one working for many years to see whether it stands the test of time. It took my MX-6 about 10 years before I noticed any rust.

After searching the web, I found some references to people in the pipeline industry who use a device based on the same principles to protect their lines.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
in melbourne, i cant think of a ten year old car i have seen with rust. that is just very rare.

·
Registered
541 Posts
mine pulls 200mA/h and have NEVER had a battery issue (except where I have left the door open/lights on in the garage or something over night.

As for the comments about not being able to reverse the aging process - please expand on this??

From my understanding of chemistry I cant see how....

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I too am confused... I'm pretty sure it would work (again, assuming you get a good one). I actually did this in a Chemistry Prac at uni a few years ago (I'm feeling old now).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts