Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as per Justin L's enthusiastic request, I am posting this write up of the work that I carried out on a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S over the course of 3 days. the owner also has an FR-S that I've been taking care of for over a year, but he recently got himself this toy that he's been longing for for a while now. It is a normal Carrera S, but has a few upgrades such as the front bumper from the GT3, the wheels from the turbo and the GT2 exhaust. This thing was louder than my car....and my car is pretty loud.

So, here is what I did to the car over 3 days time.

This is what the car looked like when it arrived. Doesn't look to bad from this angle, at this distance.

But let's take a closer look. First off, on the front bumper, there was silicone/grease all over the sides.

I took a look at the wheels, and realized the culprit was most likely the tire dressing.

A quick swipe of my fingers revealed...

That it was in fact a low quality silicone based tire dressing that had slung all over the place.

then, walking around the car, I got to see the general condition.

There was swirling, but it didn't seem too bad.

I began the process by cleaning the wheels, as usual.

A close inspection shows that they were caked in brake dust and caused an orange hue to the wheels.

They were cleaned with a special mix of wheel cleaner and Iron-X to ensure that they were cleaned and decontaminated.

One all cleaned and dressed, this was the final result. (note that although they have a slight gloss to them, the tires are dry and have zero grease when swiping your fingers now)

Once the wheels were cleaned, the car was rinsed to remove any loose dirt. Some beading shows residual wax from the previous application

Following that was the degreasing foam bath.

After one single wash, the wax was no longer.

Once pre-cleaned, the decontamination process began with Iron-X

Physical decontamination with the clay bar followed suit.

Then the car was washed once more to make sure the paint was ready to be corrected. During this stage, all the nooks and crannies were washed with a brush to ensure maximum cleanliness.

Once dried, it was time inspect the paint and see what I like to call the "Truth". This is bare paint with no fillers, polymers, waxes or glazes.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There were a few deeper scratches that were through the clear coat and that could not be 100% corrected, such as this one.

And this one.

Once inside, I removed the wing to have access to the trunk panels. No details missed

this also gave me a chance to clean out the accumulation of dirt between the side and top panels of the wing.

The owner requested the removal of the badges on the rear, but wasn't sure if he would keep it de-badged, so I made sure to keep the alignment of the badges with masking tape while removing them.

Residual glue/tape was removed with AutoGlym's Intensive Tar Remover.

Then the car was taped off, ready for polishing.

As usual, the test panel was done by splitting the trunk down the middle.

Preliminary 50/50 after only the compounding step.

Seeing as I was the one doing the polishing, it was kind of hard and pretty much impossible to take pcitures of myself, so all I have is these 2 taken by my GF of me polishing the wing.

Here are the reflections and clarity of paint achieved, inside the garage.

After nearly 16 hours of polishing, the correction was complete. Before the application of Opti-Coat, it is crucial that the paint is free from all polishing oils and debris, so it was sterilized twice with a 50% IPA solution.

And finally, came time to apply the Opti-Coat Pro.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final shots!

As usual, thanks for looking and Happy Detailing!

You can follow my work and updates on my facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elegance-Auto-Detailing/112193962170449

or, you can check out my website here:
Elegance Auto Detailing - Montreal detailing - Home

As a small bonus, here is the rough draft of a video a friend made for me of a special car I got to work on:

This has only half the total footage and the music is NOT going to be the same int he final draft :p

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
...Tres Bien.. WoW...!! What a difference...
Excellent...!!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Tres Bien.. WoW...!! What a difference...
Excellent...!!
Whaaaa.... what a car... :)

Awesome job btw, really brings that color out! Perfect gloss

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks guys. :) This paint was brought back to about 90-95%. There could have been more done to it, but at that point, it would have been essentially useless since the owner does intend to drive the car and not simply expose it once in a while. So perfection was not required, besides, most owners can't even tell the difference between 95% and 100% correction, it then becomes very much in minute details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts