Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winter is here...well not really but..anyways my MX6 was bought by my brother 2 years ago. That winter the E brake kept freezing. Well i forgot all about the problem when the car was handed down to me and he got his beautiful RX8 and it happened last night. This morning i let the E-brake down, felt no tension released, and i wouldnt drift back or anything (parked on a slight incline). My dads solution was to leave it in 1st gear and leave the e brake down during the winter. But i wanna get it fixed incase i take this car to college. has anyone had this problem? maybe brakelines?

also when i put my new wheels on during the summer, we jacked it up to put them on and let the e-brake up, but the back wheels were still moving. dont all brakes lock when the e-brake is up?

any help or advice would be much appreciated, this car has alot of problems but i love it to much to just sell it and get something else, and to me, this is kind of small.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mine used to stick anytime I pulled it no matter what. I drive an auto though so I just had mine disconnected because I don't really need it.. The main problem with mine I think was that the caliper was kind of rusty so it stuck.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
If you look under the car there are "hooks" on both brake calipers that attach to the emergency brake cable. These tend to get a little rust on them and it causes them to stick.

Park on a level surface without the emergency brake engaged, put something under your wheel so the car won't roll, and physically pull the "hooks" until they move freely in all directions. You may need a hammer to persuade them if they are stuck pretty good.

That is a short term fix since they will freeze again. Go out and buy a can of WD40 or some other penetrating grease/oil and spray the part where the hook rotates at liberally. I leave the can of grease/oil in my trunk and spray it any time I feel like they are freezing up.

Your other option would be to upgrade to protege calipers or 626 calipers in the rear.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-other-performance/199241-brake-upgrade-how.html

protege
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-ma...liper-conversion-no-more-frozen-calipers.html

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
All available calipers will tend to have this problem eventualy.

Invest in some new replacements or a quality rebuild with a good waranty in either case. This is a good chance to upgrade to either the protege late 626 or late mazda 6 calipers and rotors.

There are how to,s for each setup on this forum and they all simply involve swapping out old usualy worn parts for new better parts that cost about what stock replacements would cost so theres no real price penalty over using stock stuff unless ypu opt for fancy pads and rotors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Boot the Hooks?

If it's the hooks and cable that rust.
Wouldn't you be able to solve the problem by making a small dust Boot for the hooks?
Fill it with grease and seat it off.
I am thinking a bicycle tube , cut and zip tied to the cable and over the hooks.
Clean the hooks and cable end, then fill it up with grease prior to zip tying.

Much cheaper than new calipers.

If it works for me I'll let ya'll know.

Mine siezed the other day. Until I got off the snow and onto dry pavement.

There's a reason they call me Mcgyver.

·
Registered
549 Posts
yeah its very normal and schitty, my last set of calipers seized in the 'summer', that told me its time to replace, so i did, this past summer with remans, and now, they seized up on me agian, im not sure if i should waste my time in replacing them (lifetime warr) or just not use them at all, untill i decide to upgrade...........but just to warn you, when you think you have the car to perfect, youre not with stock calipers........so if you can, upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts