Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 v6 5 speed mx6. About 3 months ago I went to the car wash and when I got the car back the rear left wheel was stuck, wouldn't move. When I drove a few feet it actually dragged. There was a mechanic next door who spent about 15 minutes and he did something with his hands or a screwdriver or something that fixed it.

Anyways, this morning I parked on a steep hill and I noticed that the car was moving with the emergency brake on, so i pulled it tighter. The car stopped moving. When I came back I took the brake off and it went down very easily, easier than usual. The car seems to drag a bit (not as bad as 3 months ago) and when I engage the emergency brake it goes up very easily, not much resistance. Anyone know what could be the problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the link to the article. I'm wondering if there was a recall on that as my warranty is now expired ('93).

I'm in the US. Should I try calling a dealer about the problem or just a local shop?

Also, the article isn't clear as to what I need. Do I need to replace one caliper or both of the rear ones? And will this stop future problems? And do you know about how much this should cost to fix total?

Thank you again

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No problem. That site is excellent.

The problem probably applies to both calipers, or will.

You could always jack up the rear of the car and see which wheel is sticking or if both are.

It's always good to do brake work by the pair instead of each wheel.

You should contact Roebuck Mazda (They're in Birmingham, Alabama) and see if they can help. I'm not sure if you will be lucky enough to get compensated. Another Mazda dealer that knows MX-6s well can help too probably (our Mazda dealers don't know MX-6s!) That website lists approximate cost to fix, but who knows how old that estimate is. It's always good to shop around amongst dealers.

Caliper replacement is DIY-able, but make sure you know how to bleed brakes if you're going to do it :) It's not fun.

I'm not sure if there's a recall. My MX-6 was made in 12/94 so technically it applies, but I have never had any caliper problems whatsoever, and I'm the second owner of the car.

Good luck!

Tyson
95 MX-6 LS
91 RX-7
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=462831487

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried following the fix you gave me. I noticed that the left one was fine, but I greased it just in case. The right one was popped out. There's a rod that hooks in and it had popped out so I just greased the joint and worked it in, then popped the rod back in (the rod pops in after you push back a pivot joint that's connected to a spring). Now it seems fine. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same problem they describe in the article you gave me.

One thing I do know is that the 2 times it happened was after the emergency brake had been pulled up very far. I think what happens is if it's pulled up too much, the rod slips out to the side.

So I think that it's safe to drive, I don't really see how it could be dangerous because it can only pop out if I pull the emergency brake while driving. If it happens when I'm stopped and using the brake, I'll know immediately if rod popped out again because one of my wheels will drag or slow down.

Again thanks for the help. I recently got the car after having a 91 300zx twin turbo. I also got a lot of help on a forum there (twinturbo.net for anyone who has a 90+ 300ZX).

Now I just need to find away to pump up the horsepower to 300 :)

Michael

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I live where it's completely flat, so we don't have to pull our emergency brakes up very far :)

Good luck.

Tyson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just had the same problem, I had new tyres put on the car about 3 weeks ago, anyway that afternoon when I was driving it the car seemed to be pulling, like I was driving with the park brake on, I didn't worry about it for about a week then I thought I'd better have it checked out, anyway I took it to my local brake shop and the checked everything, it turned out that the rear left caliper was not releasing, this I'm told is a common problem with '93 & '94 MX6s. The brake guy had to replace the pads, and he tried to oil up caliper. $200 later I drove out of the shop, 5 minutes later smoke was pouring from the left rear wheel!!!!!! Anyway to cut a long story short, either have the calipers stripped down or get some '95 or '96 calipers, or do what I did, the lever that the park brake ataches to the caliper can be pushed without too much effort, it clicks and releases the brake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem except mine was completly frozen on the left side. so I had to replace everything on the left side. Its just one of the few drawbacks when owning a 93 or 94. My advice if you dont want to spend the money to replace everything just pop the lever back on the caliper and park the thing in gear. I did that for a month before I decided to shell out the bucks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah.. the best thing to do with this problem is to replace them, not grease them up and stuff.. that's only a temp fix.. next winter or so, they will stick again..... I got mine changed and have not had any sticking...

Ohh and what your mechanic did in the beginning was loosed the e-brake. then if you park on a hill or something, even with the e-brake on, the car will still move.. bad idea.... I would change them ASAP. It happened to me in the middle of a snowstorm and I was powersliding all throughout my town... it was soo scarry.. luckily it was like at 6Am so there werent any cars around. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts