Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question about my MX6...

I was driving through town tonight like usual, everything was normal.. so I parked my car next to my friends for about 15 minutes and then tried pulling away and it felt like the car was slower than usual... as if my brake was stuck on and was trying to slow the car down. So i kept driving and it kept getting worse, then I tried giving it some gas and I knew something was wrong.... I pulled into my school parking lot and got out and looked at my right rear brake and it looked like hot lava... My left rear was fine, it was pulling a little bit because I could smell burning but on the other one the smell was almost overwelming! My emergency cable is stuck on and it seems like I have almost no tension when I pull the brake up, I can pull it all the way up with little effort... before it was really tight but now it's sort of loose... but why would that keep my emergency brake on? Does anybody know if this is a costly fix, or can I simply do it myself? I was shocked at how red hot my rear right brake was, it kind of scared me. My front ones are perfectly fine though, nothing is wrong with them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
either the caliper is seized or the cable is seized, both aren't too expensive if you can do the work yourself, the caliper is easy just make sure you bleed the lines after or you wont have brakes at all! lol the cable is easier if you have a hoist but if you dont mind jackin it up and crawling under its not too hard to do.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
You have to reach around the tire to the hook where the ebrake cable is hooked on, and pull it towards the rear of the car. It should release and then you'll be okay until the next time you use the ebrake. When you can, take off the ebrake cable from the hook, free it up using some wd40, etc, and just work the hook back and forth until it's free. Then lube it up using some high-temp grease and you should be good for another couple of years.

I just replaced the rear calipers under warranty after my rebuilt ones started sticking, and on the new calipers I lubed them with grease just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i have a quick question. what would be the cause of a parking brake stuck down. I can still drive but i just cant engage the parking brake.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
It could be the handle itself is seized, but that's hard to believe unless it's broken or something.

More likely the "hooks" at the back of the calipers that the parking brake cable hooks into are seized in place and you can probably tap them loose with a hammer, or it might be time for new calipers.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I second the hooks being frozen in place. Whack them with a hammer for a while and they will move. Then drench them in wd40 regularly or they will stick again.

If that's not the problem the parking brake cable might be too short or adjusted wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I concur with the previous two posts; crawl under the back of the car, look at where the cables attach to a "hook" looking lever and bang them with hammer back into place. WD40 them up, and play with the handbrake, more WD40, more playing with the handbrake etc... This happened to me 2 winters ago. Ever since then I spray the levers ("hooks") every once in a while, or when they get stuck. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Is there any way to make sure that the rear calipers don't seize up on the 2nd gens?
Remove them. If they aren't on your car, they won't seize.

In all seriousness, this is a common problem with these cars. There are ways to minimize the likelihood of it happening, but I don't think there's any way to completely prevent it. Like Paula said, using grease and WD40 helps, and buying new or remanufactured calipers will help a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem with my car.
I ended up permanently disabling my E-brake after it caused my rear calipers to seize.
Use lots and lots of lubricant on your caliper pins.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Is there any way to make sure that the rear calipers don't seize up on the 2nd gens?
You can install protege rear calipers or 2000 626 calipers and you won't have any more problems. Search for protege rear calipers or 626 rear calipers for info.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i had to knock my ebrake hooks loose on both my calipers, i wd40' then greased them up and they both move freely now but for some reason if i rip my ebrake all the way up they get stuck?? i have to reach around the tire and just barely press on them and they break free.. its annoying, i'll probably just have to end up getting new calipers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts