Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a 94 LS with about 150,000KM on it. It recently failed Ontario's emissions money grab test. The dealer says there is an "emissions upgrade kit" for this car. Has anybody heard of this and what it may do to the car performance wise?

The dealer told me I need new plugs, new PCV valve and this emissions kit and they think it should pass the test... So far, $300 CDN... If it doesn't pass they recommend replacement of the cat!! HELP!

-spish

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would buy all the tune-up goods and install them yourself. What you can do is order a high cat. and get it installed by a muffler shop. did mazda do a diagnostic?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah, mazda did the diagnostic. they're installing the "kit" as we speak.. I was more curious about what components are part of this kit. If I'm paying $125 for a bunch of hoses or something more significant?

thanks!

-spish

·
Registered
45 Posts
Damn, I have a 94 LS V-6 and 186000 kms on it. I need to take the emissions test within the next 3 weeks as my B-day is coming. I just put new Mobil 1 in 500 kms ago and replaced the plugs and wires. I have had the intermittent CEL light and checked the codes a few weeks ago - LHO2 sensor. I reset the codes and havent had it return yet. I suppose I should get the O2 sensor repaired before taking the test but I am no mechanic and could not do it myself. Do you think it would be cheaper to order the O2 sensor myself and get a mechanic to install it? I dont trust Mazda to do it for less than $400 CDN. Any ideas?
Spish - What were your numbers on the emissions?

PeMiL
Canadian 94 LS V-6

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought that it was like a fuel additive or something like that. Maybe you have some CELs that might cause you to not pass.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,

The numbers that caused it to fail were:

HC ppm
limit: 83
reading: 138 (fail)

CO%
limit: 0.46
reading: 0.38 (pass)

NO ppm
limit: 630
reading: 767 (fail)

As you can see, not terrible but bad enough that I couldn't get the car licenced.

After Mazda installed this "kit" and replaced the plugs the car was retested and the results were:

Limits same as above:
HC: 76
CO: 0.35
NO: 498

Not spectacular, but better.

As for the "kit" it is NOT a fuel additive, it is in fact a couple of hoses and a canister of some sort that cost me $125CDN from Mazda.

-spish:freak:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts