Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Serious problems here. Just failed an emission test due to clogged 02 sensors, bad plugs, bad pcv valve, weak catalytic converter etc, etc.

To get a conditional pass all I have to do is replace the 02 sensors which I am having done. However, the mechanic who looked at my vehicle said that it was in need of a MAJOR tune-up and proceeded to rattle off a list of 10+ things that need to be done for a total of $1700 which is total BS. I'm sure some of these are bogus and would love some expert advice on what repairs I MUST/SHOULD do, to keep everything running healthy and clean, and which suggested repairs are bogus and don't really need done.

Suggested work includes:
Replace 02 sensors (done)
Replace air filter (done)
Replace pcv valve
replace fuel filter
replace distributor cap and rotor
replace spark plugs (done)
replace spark plug wires (is this really necessary???)
replace cat. converter

What I'm really looking for is just a brief list of all the things that should be replaced during a major tune-up. If anyone can suggest anything else that I might want to do or have done to get everything back up to par it would be MUCH appreciated. The car has had it's lube,oil & filter changed on a regular basis since I've had it, but it hasn't had a tune-up in two years. Yikes. Please help.

Cheers,
Qorn

·
Registered
66 Posts
All that is listed need to be done for a good tune up. This also depends on the milage and condition of your vehicle. The price is BS as I'm going to give you Ford dealer prices for all the items you listed remember aftermarket might even be cheaper. Prices in Cdn Dollars

Suggested work includes:

Replace pcv valve item is $5 - $10
replace fuel filter item $30
replace distributor cap and rotor cap $60 rotor $20
replace spark plug wires (is this really necessary???)
Yes it is roughly $75 - $100 for NGKs
replace cat. converter
Get universal ones (Carsound) which cost around $200 - $250

Do the math it doesn't come nearly to what he quoted you unless he wants over a $1000 for labour. Search the net for good prices and do your research. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, though it wasn't what I was hoping to hear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's recommended to do all the work within a short time frame, because if I replace the 02 sensors and nothing else then they'll simply get clogged again and fail within a short period of time correct?

I'm not a mechanic by any means, nor do I really know my way around an engine that well. How much of these repairs could be done on my own with a Haynes manual? I have no desire to jack up my car and do any "bottom-up" work. Only things that I can do "top-down". I'm just trying to save on labor which runs about $80/hour. Can the PCV valve, or distributor cap and/or rotor be replaced relatively easily, or should I leave it to a pro? Please let me know.

Qorn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, in case you need to know the car currently has 136,500 kms (85,000 miles) on it, with the last major tune-up (outside of regular oil changes) being the 100,000kms or 60,000 mi tune-up when they change the timing belt and all that stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PCV valve takes 2 minutes to change, distributor and cap around 15 minutes even if you never done it. Wires are also easy just take one off at a time and replace with new ones. Put it this way to do the following you won't even get your hands dirty everything from the top. The only thing that requires a muffler shop is to change your catalytic converter.

Also You don't need to change them right away although recomended it won't mess up anything. Just don't drive for years before you change things.

Haynes manual is should be fine or find a local Probe owner to help you out.

Later

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, lemme chip in. PCV valve just removes fumes from the engine and into the charcoal canister. I mean, it's just a little tube and a ball, there's not much that can go wrong with it. One good thing to try is cat converter, though they should have lifetime warranty unless u had some major backfires recently.
If you want, I got a good used one for cheap.

Plug wires - nonsense.

Try oil. Maybe you're car is burning a little oil. That will get things out of wack for sure. Try and replace it for synthetic unless u done so already.

If still no help, grab a timing light and check your ignition timing.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
you can forget about the catalytic converter (biggest expense on your list) by simply moving to Alberta, where's there's no e-tests.:D

The rest of the stuff is probably (over?)due if it hasn't been touched in (at least) a couple of years.

If yer worried about unnecessary expense of plug wires/distributor cap, go out in the dark, start engine, lift hood and spray wires with a little windex (or other aqueous solution). If they're shaky, you'll see little blue sparks going to ground.

**edit**

He likely quoted you the big price just in case you took the car back and tested it again as soon as he did all that stuff and it failed again. Then he's be able to additional work "for free" to get you passed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
e test

change the pcv, its so easy and for the wires and ditributor: just make a small drawing of wich wire goes where and be careful positionning tne rotor if ur doing it ureself.like i said just rmv the cap and draw how the rotor is placed. And to let you know the pcv brings the fumes back in the intake if you follow the tube. if u want to see if it shot; just shake it,if u hear the ball its fine if not then change it because its plugged

})

·
Registered
76 Posts
The cap and rotor usually go on one way only. The wires are easily done if you go one at a time. I spent a few buck and bought Taylor wires but they are the same as Ford Racing wires. And yes changing the wires will help you get better burn on the fuel and less emmissions (e tests measure the amount of raw fuel that is left in the exhaust after it passes through the cat.) The fuel filter will help the gas be a little cleaner when it hits the injector and does help keep some of the emmisions in check. The PCV valve is probably clogged so it should be replaced, again it has been layed out already. As for the cat, I know you can get generic cats from Maremont. I have one it is part number 38033.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts