Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having Problems with in the old engine department these recent cold mornings.
The rev counter seems to fluctuate up and down and generally seems to run a lot faster than normal even after five minutes of warming up. Whats really strange is when the I put the lights on full beam, this up and down hunting seems to stop?
Is there an air temp/engine temp sensor that could be at fault? Where is it (have you got a pic of it from the manual?) and has someone got the part no. for it?
Also one of the cells on the battery has gone, and having the thermostat replaced on Tuesday as getting some high temp readings off the guage, not to mention the oil leak under the left hand side of the engine bay, and the nearside wishbone bushes have gone too, but I already have the parts for them.
Still guess I'll have enough money left to buy one piece of coal to keep me warm this Christmas

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Sounds more like a sticky BAC valve... putting the lights on causes the IAC valve to add a bit more revs...

but.. as you asked... the air temp sensor is inside the VAF.. there is also 2 water temp sensors near the water filler cap..

John

·
Registered
822 Posts
Jamo said:
Having Problems with in the old engine department these recent cold mornings.
The rev counter seems to fluctuate up and down and generally seems to run a lot faster than normal even after five minutes of warming up.

mine has started to do the same thing.... will check out mine when i am able to walk about again!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Einstein, help me out here the IAC is...the Inlet Air Control Valve, and the BAC is?
If its sticky, can it be cleaned? Couldn't find any mention of the bac valve in the parts manual, I see the IAC is £700+ , at least the temp sensors are only 20-30 squid a time.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I think it was just a typo m8... and IAC is what he ment to put... dyslexic fingers eh :freak: pain sometimes... brains happy dictating what your thinking.. fingers do somethig completely different... :sigh:

ooooody.. oops . Oddy..

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Yup.. a typo..

The BAC valve is bolted to the TB.. the ISC is part of the BAC valve..

Basically.. the BAC is for the warmup, and the ISC controls the idle speed.

Either could be sticky... first thing to try would be some carb or TB cleaner.. and give it good work about with a small brush..

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I've noticed the same problem. Instead of idling at around 1400rpm when cold, itcloser to 2000rpm for the first few minutes. Sometimes blipping the throttle drops it back down to the 1400rpm range.

I'm wondering if this is related to the problem I had a couple of months ago, when there revs would randomly rise to 3500rpm and stay there even when warm. A liberal dose of WD40 seemed to cure it at the time, but the IAC valve was also mentioned then.

I have a list of things that need doing before I even think about the J-spec conversion... Get this IAC valve done, CV joint, timing belt and rocker gaskets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts