Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I got heads taken off and that where for a good while like that. Engine block where pistons around got rusted. Mechannic told me that I need now before I put my heads back clean that stuff by taking pistons out. Do I need that kind of cleaning??? I wouldnt want to buy new ring and bearings. My engine is not that old. How to should I do that proper way?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
pistons should be removed, cleaned up and cylinder walls will need to be honed out good opportunity to send it to a machine shop and get her bored out a bit and throw some oversize pistons in :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Depends on the amount of rust. If it's just a surface coating, you might be okay to get the bulk of it with a Scotchbrite pad. If there's any pitting in the bores though, you might well need a hone and fresh rings (don't forget, they too can rust...)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine been open like that for 6 month, but where stored at mechannics shop. Just rust over the alluminum. They have told me to mesure dimentions and if there is something not ok, re-ring it. When you re-ring the pistons, do you change bearings also?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would engine run if I wont do that?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would assume so it just might be more likely to spin a bearing... it depends what shape they are in now as long as they are not scored at all i'd just wipe them down, put some new oil on em and throw them in but again you'd have to see what kinda shape they are in

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In order to do that I need to take oil pump off or just oil pan?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
you need to take the oil pan off and undo the connecting rods to get the pistons out to change the rings... you are talking about the rod bearings right? if so you change each rod bearing when each rod is disconnected from the crank shaft

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the rings are alright, I just wipe the corrosion off. right?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
you don't want to put it all together and run it for a few minutes, maybe days, maybe weeks and then have to take it all apart again because of a pile of the dreaded blue smoke out the exhaust :p

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe, sure I dont. But I cant buy new rings and bearings. So, would have to just clean the those and put back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts