Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 4 mechanics and more than 1500 spent on the six i was able to finally drive it now, in the last mechanic the mazda dealership the codes 04 15 16 17 23 came up and the mechanic told me that cylinder 3 was misfiring and that explains the low idle speed (200-500) so after i changed the plugs/distributor/sparkplugs/both valve cover gaskets/ throttle body i was able now to drive the car but it still idles high, the mazda guy told me that if you keep the car here the next 2 steps i will do the car is check the EGR valve and the timing belt because it might be skipping a tooth,

i have been driving the car now for almost a week and it hasn't stalled on me once which is perfect, but it still idles high at around 1500 when not warm and 1100 when its warm. sometimes the RPM would bounce between 1500 and 2000 continuously for like 10 times in a row, the mechanic reset the codes and today i did the paperclip thing to diagnose the car and i got 2 codes,

CODES 16, 17

i know that this is the EGR valve and the Left 02 sensor,

what do you guys recommend me doing int he car for the idling problem, should i replace both the EGR valve and the o2,

all 4 codes for the 02 sensors came up earlier last week in the dealership because when cylinder 3 was misfiring it caused huge black smoke coming out from the exhaust but now only codes 16 17 shows up and there is no more black smoke from the exhaust..

help appreciated

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just had the same two codes as you and i have a probinator chip that 86s the egr i replaced the front O2 sensor and while i was into it i replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and i now have no CEL codes but i am dealing with an idle issue kinda like yours but mine is when im at a light/stop its bogging sounding like a miss but i think I have my problem narrowed down to old fuel. hope that helps you a bit. So if you replace you o2 sensor she might come back to normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah same here the problem is only when its on a stopsign/redlight (stopped)
im thinking of changing both the o2 sensor and the EGR valve

but are the idling issues symptoms of bad EGR valves and o2 sensor

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
02 for sure. You could have a vacuum leak too.

have you tried to play with the screw on top of the TB?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
apparently the mazda dealership changed the idle to the "perfect" position

and ill give the 02 a change first or should i also change the EGR valve,
i can get a really decent one for a couple hundred dollars

thanks for the help

·
Registered
153 Posts
and ill give the 02 a change first or should i also change the EGR valve,
i can get a really decent one for a couple hundred dollars
I would just change the O2 sensor first then she what she does like i said i was getting the same 2 codes and i have my EGR deleted with the probinator chip when i replaced the O2 sensor it went away with that. Make sure that you reset the ECU after installing the O2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for help guys

i will go ahead with changing the o2 sensors within the next coming days, and then restart the codes and ill post more if that doesn't help

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts