Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys here's the deal...

I drive a 240sx and have been on those boards for a long time...so I know quite a bit about Jap. 4 cylinders in general...
My dad and I have picked up a 94 MX-6 with a I4...we got it cheap 'cause it had thrown a rod. I need to know what year I4's will bolt in to replace it...not looking for any performance gain, just a cheap stock motor so we can get it running and sell it (just trying to make a little money on the car). I see on the forum title that 2G's were 93-97 MX6's. What about 98s? I have a friend that has an engine I can pick up for $100 but he says it's from a 98....will this engine bolt into a 94? if not, is it a lot of trouble to modify whatever needs to be modified to make it fit? My car (the 94) is an automatic and we're planning on just leaving it that way, will it matter what tranny the donor car had and if so, is there a way to tell?(I'm not sure what tranny the 98 motor used). I searched on numerous different topics and couldn't really find teh explanation I was looking for, I saw something about different pulleys, but still didn't find a good description of that either...if anyone has a good explanation, please post or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance guys...sorry for the "book" ^ :rolleyes:
Bryan

·
Registered
180 Posts
production of the mx6 ended in 97...the only way he could have a 98 would be from a 626...though im not sure the engine and tranny were the same in the 98 and up's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...so if it's a 97....will it bolt in...everything the same...etc? Basically refer to the questions in the 1st post, but assume its a 97 engine.

Thanks,
Bryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else??... I know there are a ton of you guys that have answers to these questions?

Bryan

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
jhend924 said:
no the tranny's are different i believe 93-94 is OBD I and the 95-97 is OBD II,,,someone varify this im almost certain
95 is still OBD1
96+ is OBD2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So will a 96-97 motor bolt up to the 94 tranny I already have?...or no? Is there any difference in the engine itself (between a 93-95 and a 96-97)? Thanks guys, just need to know what year motor to look for because I wanna get this project finished...

Thanks a million,
Bryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jhend924 said:
the engine is the same but the tranny's are not compatible
So does this mean I can use any engine from 93-97 with my 94 tranny...or I need to use a 93-95 engine with my tranny? Regardless of the engine, I'm still planning to use my transmission, so I need to know what year engines will bolt up to a 94 automoatic tranny, and if my 94 computer will run it, because I don't wanna have to go switching wiring harnesses and stuff...

Thanks guys, this is a big help,
Bryan:D

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Any engine should be cool. As long as you are reusing the exhaust from your 94, since the 97 will have extra O2 sensor spots. I suppose you could just screw dead sensors in......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rylinkus said:
Any engine should be cool. As long as you are reusing the exhaust from your 94, since the 97 will have extra O2 sensor spots. I suppose you could just screw dead sensors in......
Cool... I was planning on using the 94 exhaust anyway...all I want to do is swap in a good motor, I just needed to know if a newer motor would bolt up to the 94 tranny, another thing I thought of, will the 94 ECU be able to run a newer motor?? Anyone have any input on this aspect??

Thanks a million guys!
Bryan

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yes it will bolt up .. the difference between the tranys is the ratios not the bolt pattern or any thing.. .. so if you use the one that was in the car before the rod incident you should be set..
and the ecu will not know the difference if you use the existing exhaust /o2 sensors..

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Mazda Mx-6 Model Range

These models were available between 1987 and 1997.

Model: GD1021 2 door Coupe MX6 Oct 1987 - April 1989

Engine Type F2 SOHC 12 valve 2.2 litre (2184cc) EGI, turbo charged 4 cyl. in line with intercooler. 5 speed manual (std.), 4 speed ECAT (opt.). Electric glass sunroof with tilt functions, ABS, cruise control, Integrated air-conditioning, auto adjust. susp., sports steering wheel - tilt adjustable, front sports seats, rear spoiler, 15" alloy wheels.

Model: GD1022, 2 door Coupe MX6 2WS/4WS May 1990 - November 1991

Engine SOHC 12 valve 2.2 litre EGI turbo with intercooler. 5 speed manual (std.), 4 speed ECAT (opt.). Optional 4 wheel steering model with ABS, cruise control, leather steering wheel, white 15" unidirectional turbo-blade alloy wheels (silver coloured wheel for 4WS from Oct 1990).

Model: GE10L1, Coupe December 1991 - Aug 1994

Engine DOHC 24 valve V6 2.5 litre EGI. 5 speed manual, 4 speed ECAT. 4WS, 15" alloy wheels, rear spoiler, front fog lights, integrated A/C, cruise control, elec. steel sunroof & windows.

Model: GE20L2, Coupe Sept 1994 - June 1997

Update model with same engine. 5 speed manual, 4 speed ECAT. Available as 2WS or 4WS. 4WS model has climate control A/C, ABS, cruise control, leather upholstery & steering wheel, electric driver's seat & sunroof. Re-styled 15" alloy wheels for all models

GE10L1 is OBD I
&
GE20L2 is OBD II

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, so since the bolt pattern on the tranny's is the same, I can use any year engine from 94-97 and it run fine, assuming I use the same exhaust? Anything else I need to make sure I use from the old engine...any sensors or gauge sensors...are the harnesses the same?

Thanks a million guys, this helps me out soooo much!
Bryan

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
umm... the OBDII uses and post cat O2 and i believe a separate crank sensor as well to pick up deviations in CMP and CKP, as well a misfire detection, as required by OBDII. wether they eliminated the extra sensor in the disty, i dont know. either way, youll have to use the 94 disty and if the PCM doesnt have an input for a CKP, then who cares.

i think the majority is engine mgmt shtuff...

a 98 engine would be from a 626 and thats when they started with the DIS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts