Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i recently picked up a 1990 ford telstar sedan with a f2 engine as i needed interior and exterior parts. but as i dont need the engine me and a mate decided we could try to put it in his auto 2lt carbie AR telstar ( you know the square boxy model thats built like a tank). we thought it would be sorta a sleeper for what it looks like lol. i have all the wiring and fuel system sorted (im an auto sparkie by trade) but as im not familiar with the AR model i need to know if the f2, manual gearbox and cv shafts will bolt straight up. i know the engine will bolt up as it is the some block as the 2lt carbie but im not sure about the whole gear box side of the conversion. please help me even the littlest of advice would be great. karma to all helpers

Reactions: 83 ar telstar

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Use an AR manual gearbox with the F2...thats the easiest way.

you will need to sort something out for the Right side engine mount if you havent already, as the mounting arrangement is quite different.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
There are 2 options with bolting the F2 into the AR. Bolt the 2ltr bottom mount to the 2.2. The top drivers side mount can be used from the 2ltr as the bolt holes are in the block. There may be some clearance issues however. I'll have a pic for you by the end of the week with another option ;)

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Yeah, if you use AR/GC Right side engine mounts on the F2, you will need to either move the alternator to the radiator side of the engine, or make up a new alternator bracket and use a longer belt, like this :

The bottom mount wont fit due to sump clearance, you need to fit an AR sump, or "modify" the F2 one to clear the edge of the mount.
And make a spacer for the 4th bolt, as the oil pump on the F2 only uses 3 bolts to hold it to the front of the block, where as the AR/GC uses 4. the bolt hole is there in the block, all you need do is use a spacer thats the same thickness as the oil pump.. I used a modified spacer, I forget what it was off, its either from a commodore p/s pump or a Falcon A/C.

see pic, the hole is hidden from view in the pic, see red arrow :

As you may notice my alloy crank pulley, I had it made as a 3pk/4pk rather than a 3pk/5pk, I found I didnt really have enough clearance to get the a/c belt on and off during the test fit, so by losing one of the slots off the end I made it about 5mm shorter. which is more than enough. 4pk belts are fine for p/s and a/c, 5pk are over kill.

Sabbai might have an easier option for you than this

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
As Chief has already mentioned. Alt at the front and use the GC mounts is an easy enough option.

Here is one we did about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn it. i thought i had an original idea. is there any other conversion that i coud do and stay with the f series engine without to much trouble? i want to do something original

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
V6 GC is original

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would be really hard to fit. how would you adapt the engine to the ar manual gearbox?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
You would have to use the V6 engine, gearbox and GE hubs on the GC.

Then get creative with GD and GE mounts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
using the ge hubs mean shorter cv shafts and the cv joint will need to be in a different spot on the shaft due to suspension geometry which would cause a problem for me

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I put GD hubs on my GC...GE front hubs are more or less the same, I cant see why it wouldnt work.

If you really dont want to use GE shafts you can have some custom driveshafts made up using the GC outer joint and GD or GE 28 spline inner for G series box to suit the KL engine.
If you really want to go crazy you could buy a Helical LSD from club protege to suit the G series box in 26 spline, and keep your stock shaft (on the left side at least)
If you can get a KL into a BG, then it'll definitely go into the AR. they use Mx3/eunos 30x stuff to make it fit into a BG, you would need to customise the mounts. you could probably keep the rear gearbox mount, but that'd be the only one

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
grrrrrr if i could get a fe3 it would be going in my car lol, i wanted to do the conversion just 4 fun and a v6 sound like a lot of work and no one in tumut will engineer for me! i tried all the ppl i know (tumut is very small we only have half dozen light car mechanics lol)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
unless it's bolt in bolt out engine conversion NO conversion is straight forward.

evening dropping in a Sr20DEt from a SSS bluebird into N14 is not straight forward.
useing the turbo parts to convert a stock Sr20 into turbo version is slighlty easier but even then. It's always the little things get in your way.

You want original take one of my ideas but min cost so far is worked out at $12000. tha'ts drive in drive out

they are
MZR SP23 S1 package into a GD - will not fit into GE due to height clearance issues

SP23 motor S2-4 or BCD version into Mazda 2 -DY onward.

BG/BA astina fitted with FE DOHC worked that one out at drive in drive out with $1000 FE DOHC from late wagon model including G-sereis box - to be approx $5000 ex - some parts but with majority of things being equal. Will fit JUST

The list goes on of many conversion possible These are just the on shy legal ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys i recently picked up a 1990 ford telstar sedan with a f2 engine as i needed interior and exterior parts. but as i dont need the engine me and a mate decided we could try to put it in his auto 2lt carbie AR telstar ( you know the square boxy model thats built like a tank). we thought it would be sorta a sleeper for what it looks like lol. i have all the wiring and fuel system sorted (im an auto sparkie by trade) but as im not familiar with the AR model i need to know if the f2, manual gearbox and cv shafts will bolt straight up. i know the engine will bolt up as it is the some block as the 2lt carbie but im not sure about the whole gear box side of the conversion. please help me even the littlest of advice would be great. karma to all helpers
Hi mate, just reading your post, i'm doing that exact conversion. Just wondering how it all went and if possible ask a few questions.
Cheers, Cle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts