Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Damsel in Distress!!

I've doen a little research, but am stuck with a problem.
I have a late '92 mx6 (australian 2nd gen). I have recently had the major service tended to and the car has travelled 300,000 kilometers.

In the last 2 weeks I've experienced the following problem: I was driving along and without warning, the engine stalled for a split second, and then came on again straight away. I noticed that the tacho dropped to zero and sprung right back to where it was. A day or so later it did the same thing, but about 10 mins later the engine simply cut out and stayed that way. Accessories (radio, fans, etc) stayed on, but ofcourse power steering and brakes went to cave-man-mode. I was travelling at about 80km/hr so that was irritating!! I stopped, turned ignition off and took the key out, then restarted without a problem. 2 days later and the issue repeated.

In total, this has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have spoken to Service staff at my local Mazda dealership, and they advised me that there is no 'test' to see if it is the distributor that is faulty (which is my hunch), but they are more than happy to sell me a genuine item for $1800AUS. Or a reconditioned 2nd hand part for $450AUS which is ofcourse without warranty.

Has anyone experienced this happening? What was the outcome? Are these symptoms typical of a faulty distributor, or possible something else??

Any advice and help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Faioa

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just had this problem happen to me not to long ago. It was doing the same thing yours is doing. If the rpms drop to zero that is a really tell tale sign that the distributor/ignitor is failing. You might want to search on the forums for a (Hei mod) or it is also in the progect section. I did it to mine and it quit stalling. how many miles are on your car???

Reactions: EMEX6

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car has done 300,000kms.

The igniter... that is a separate component? The only quotes I have been able to squeeze out of Mazda is for a complete distributer. For some reason the people I spoke with didn't know or weren't keen to hand out those details.

What is the part number for the igniter??

·
Registered
22 Posts
is it when you turn it cuts out or just driving? maybe the fuel pump? I've heard of that before. Fuel pump cuts out your engine's not getting gas, it cuts out, but your radio and stuff will still stay on because its still getting juiced from the battery.... sorry just trying to throw ideas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's most likely your ignitor overheating and then failing. Once it cools off enough, you can restart the engine. Have had this issue with my car 3 times now in 1.5 years and it's been the distributor everytime. I've tried finding an ignitor, without having to buy the whole distributor, without any luck. $450 AUS seems like a reasonable price for a remanufactured disty. They're around $400 CDN.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jonesymx6 said:
is it when you turn it cuts out or just driving? maybe the fuel pump? I've heard of that before. Fuel pump cuts out your engine's not getting gas, it cuts out, but your radio and stuff will still stay on because its still getting juiced from the battery.... sorry just trying to throw ideas.
I just took a friend out for a 'test' drive, and I switched on the air conditioning... and a minute or so later the engine cut out. BUT the car also had a bit of trouble starting after being parked outside the shops (I'd only driven for 10 mins or so).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doms6 said:
It's most likely your ignitor overheating and then failing. Once it cools off enough, you can restart the engine. Have had this issue with my car 3 times now in 1.5 years and it's been the distributor everytime. I've tried finding an ignitor, without having to buy the whole distributor, without any luck. $450 AUS seems like a reasonable price for a remanufactured disty. They're around $400 CDN.
Sounds like that is what I will need to do. Now the question is, should I buy the new ignitor & coil for $800 plus labour cost (mazda dealership) as this comes with a 2yr warranty. Or should I buy the cheaper reconditioned unit that does not have a warranty??

·
Registered
550 Posts
the stock ignitor and coil are inside your distributor. To get rid of the problem and keep it manufactory specs you will have to replace the whole disty. Have you looked at the Hei mod??

·
Registered
57 Posts
i got the same prob. put a used disty in and it dosent do it as often. it might happen if i just suddenly let the engine rip it might cut out and come back. if im at a light it might just stall and i can restart it with no problem. i got a 94 pgt if that matter which i doubt cause of the motors being the same...

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you have something similar to autozone which sells remanufactured distys, but with a LIFETIME warranty, go that route. If not go Mazda and hope the next one lasts 300k.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears that the connectors or wiring harness are loose, and this is causing the engine to stall. I have managed to get hold of a replacement 2nd hand harness and connectors, and will have them fitted asap.

If this solves the problem, then I'll be so so so so happy as I dont have to spend a few hundred dollars on a replacement distributor.

Thanks for all your advise tho!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
what makes your distributors so expensive i can get them for 160$ at autozone

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy one from Distributor King on EBAY. I had the same problem as you, only $500 distributors available here, then i found these. It cost me $240 with tax and shipping (your shipping will cost more of course). These distributors are supposedly fixed so they don't suffer from the same defect as all the OEM one's. There's also a 3 year warranty.

Here's the link (don't know if i'll be able to post):
http://stores.ebay.com/DISTRIBUTOR-KING_Mazda_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
If it's anything like in the UK.....

Mazda dealers will only sell a complete distributor.... although Ford dealers will sell the ignitor module on its own.. (Ford Probe 2.5V6)

unfortunately, Ford has grown wise to us in the UK, and put the price up to more than double what it was when I bought mine..

Read all about it here http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52700

As said above, there is also the HEI mod, which is basically an external ignitor module, and costs peanuts compared to the genuine article... worth thinking about.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts