Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Damsel in Distress!!

I have posted this in the 2nd gen thread as well, but am hoping someone in Australia can help trouble shoot as well.

I've doen a little research, but am stuck with a problem.
I have a late '92 mx6 (australian 2nd gen). I have recently had the major service tended to and the car has travelled 300,000 kilometers.

In the last 2 weeks I've experienced the following problem: I was driving along and without warning, the engine stalled for a split second, and then came on again straight away. I noticed that the tacho dropped to zero and sprung right back to where it was. A day or so later it did the same thing, but about 10 mins later the engine simply cut out and stayed that way. Accessories (radio, fans, etc) stayed on, but ofcourse power steering and brakes went to cave-man-mode. I was travelling at about 80km/hr so that was irritating!! I stopped, turned ignition off and took the key out, then restarted without a problem. 2 days later and the issue repeated.

In total, this has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have spoken to Service staff at my local Mazda dealership, and they advised me that there is no 'test' to see if it is the distributor that is faulty (which is my hunch), but they are more than happy to sell me a genuine item for $1800AUS. Or a reconditioned 2nd hand part for $450AUS which is ofcourse without warranty.

Has anyone experienced this happening? What was the outcome? Are these symptoms typical of a faulty distributor, or possible something else??

Any advice and help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Faioa

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Disty is failing. Get it fixed before you get stranded.

It is a common problem. You can get new non-oem ones for around $600-$800 fitted with warrenty.

Reactions: EMEX6

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Not knowing much about 2nd gens, I have heard distributor issues, I dont know if they are the symptoms thouhg.

I have had a similar problem with my car, due to a short somewhere in the loom.

Investigate distributor first.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks heaps for responding so soon! :)

I am going to look at replacing the wiring / cabling that feeds into the distributor first (if that is the cheaper option) other wise I will buy the new parts with warranty from Mazda (and have them fit it).

·
Registered
9 Posts
V6 Dizzy problem - getting too hot is it ?

Same prob when we bought our 93 2.5 V6 Telstar 3 years ago, driving home damned if I didn't swear profusely ! Dealer took weeks to diagnose & eventually swapped Dizzy from car in yard for sale to prove fault (I located on MX6.com & told them -turkeys) after trying O2 sensors etc etc etc. Rebuilt our dizzy about $400 should be cheaper now. Common fault on V6 even written up in Herald Sun cars guide last year ! Caused by HEAT. Why not try a Maz/Ford wrecker on a test basis - fit it and if prob fixed etc etc or 30 days wtty that the prob is fixed ? I tried for 2.0 V6 Jap Import Dizzy but miles different. Been told you could fit 2.0 V6 as complete bolt in, might be worthwhile depending on 300Klm condition and what your body is like. I have never seen anyone build a duct to cool the dizzy, maybee we're all dopes ? dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
Usually it is the ignitor that starts to fail - heat is what brings on the symptoms. With summer barely starting the problem will just get worse regardless of it you duct cooler air at it or not - it'll just mean you pay for it later.

Distributor Ignitor Fix would be what to look for if you want the cheap version - pity I didn't know about it until after spending $600 or more

·
Registered
875 Posts
I got my replacement dizzy for the ZE for $440 inc GST from MazParts... and if Mazda try to charge you for labour tell them to blow you.. its like 4 bolts, line it up, and slot it in, easy as :)

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
This is where pricing gets crazy, eg i have an engine for sale for about 600 bux. That i now plan on keeping. This engine has a dissy etc.

Now i know you can buy a complete wreck at the auction for under 1000 bux ( i bought 2 for 950 each) and then today i priced up a v6 speed box at the wreckers and they want 900 ish for it.
I am now tempted to buy another car just for the gearbox.

So my point is, the more you buy the cheaper it is. All you need is the space to store it.

Here is the auction house i used. http://www.fowles.com.au/

Reactions: EMEX6

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I hope it will fix the issue for you....well few of us have slightly similar issues perhaps you like to read the zorb thread as well for some ideas and things he has done so far and did or did not help, if the loom did not help you out....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
good on you...maybe the solution to your problem and zorb's can help us all as few of us have the same problem..I wasnt able to make any comments or replies in your thread as I didnt know anything about that issue...cant wait to see either of you guys fixed your rides and sow e all know what was the problem...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
EMEX6...yeah do the same that toyriders did...it might help you as zorb mentioned it to toyriders.....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.